Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, upgrade from server 2003 to 2008 and exchange in Technical; Over the summer holidays I will be upgrading our current servers from 2003 to 2008 and exchange from 2003 to ...
22nd June 2010, 01:00 PM #1
upgrade from server 2003 to 2008 and exchange
Over the summer holidays I will be upgrading our current servers from 2003 to 2008 and exchange from 2003 to 2010. I have started to make a list of the correct order to do this so I dont loose any user accounts, mailboxes and data etc.
Could you all check my list and let me know if I have missed anything.
1. Upgrade exchange 2003 to exchange 2007
2. Backup exchange 2007
3. Move all fmso roles from main DC to exchange server which is also a domain controller (mailsrv)
4. Move all data from DC to NAS box
5. Dcpromo to demote main DC
6. Wipe and reload DC server with server 2008
7. Run dcpromo and make main DC again
8. Transfer all FMSO roles back to main DC
9. Set up DNS and DHCP
10. Run dcpromo and demote mailsrv
11. Wipe and reload mailsrv with server2008
12. Install exchange server 2007 onto mailsrv restore all mailboxes from backup
13. Move all data from appsrv to NAS box
14. Wipe and reload appsrv with server 2008
15. Wipe and reload sims server when capita supports server 2008!
9th July 2010, 07:31 PM #2
We're also planning to move from Exchange 2003 to 2007 over the summer. The best advise I can give is setup a visualised copy of your current environment and test what you're planning. You'll be surprised how many little niggles you'll encounter along the way. Best to have a play in a safe environment and get familiar with running tasks like dcpromo and transitioning Exchange.
Things I've found out this week in my virtual environment. Server 2008 DCs don't support Exchange 2003 management tools, so do your Exchange server first otherwise your 2008 dc will whinge. Exchange 2007 doesn't work with 2008 R2 unless you're using 2007 SP3.
Do you have to use existing hardware? You could be running into problems if you need to roll back. Always have a back up disaster plan. I don't think an Exchange 2007 box can be or is not supported as a DC. Could be wrong.
Have you got any spare PCs/old servers that could be pressed into temporary action. This would take the need away from you're current servers needing to upgraded leaving you to rebuild them once your current setup was transferred to temporary hardware.
Just some thoughts...
Last edited by jimothy; 9th July 2010 at 08:07 PM.
By duxbuz in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 24th July 2012, 01:04 PM
By jmair in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 19th May 2010, 08:35 AM
By KWestos in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 04:32 PM
By Nick_Parker in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 31st December 2008, 07:57 PM
By pooley in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 10th June 2008, 01:58 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)