+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ? in Technical; They seem to be very expensive and I would have thought that the tools available in Windows Server should allow ...
    Thank Post

Question Do we really need products like RM Connect or CSE ?

They seem to be very expensive and I would have thought that the tools available in Windows Server should allow a netword administrator to create locked down desktops and folders with applications in them.

As far as I can see that's all we seem to be getting from CSE.

I'll bet this question has been asked before.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See this can of petrol? You've just thrown a match into it...

This question is much like 'Mac vs PC vs Linux', 'vim vs emacs' or 'Ford vs GM'...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RM and CSE aren't needed but do help to create a system that is very easy for techs to administer freeing up time for other duties. I've been employed at my last two posts to remove RM connect 2.4 and RM CC3 so from my point of view I don't like them much they are very useful for lots of techs on here though, they'll be commenting soon I'll wager

Wes

Thank Post
    I had CSE they were good serverwise and the engineer I had who came out was very good but if you know how to do Vanilla can be done easily yourself

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No they are not needed, only useful for people who don't understand group policies I reckon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    No they are not needed, only useful for people who don't understand group policies I reckon
    I agree Zag, that's all I'm saying, I think localz has it in one, do we really need this can of worms to be opended again, it will only end in tears!

D

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *sigh* Here we go again... Very disappointed with the narrow-minded attitude shown by zag.

Thank Post
    Vanialla is so much better and usually cheaper, surely with the economy as it is if RM, CSE or any other company can't provide a service at a price that is around the same as vanilla how can it be justified?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Vanialla is so much better and usually cheaper, surely with the economy as it is if RM, CSE or any other company can't provide a service at a price that is around the same as vanilla how can it be justified?
    In the same way you were trying to say that using Windows rather than Linux in a school network makes sense. ie. You gain technician time etc... Supposedly anyway

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    In the same way you were trying to say that using Windows rather than Linux in a school network makes sense. ie. You gain technician time etc... Supposedly anyway
    Well, until you install anything by Adobe, then it's a crapshoot.

Thank Post
    I've worked on both system's and I can say from experience that I prefer working on a vanilla network.

From my experience working on a RM network I found that it removed you from the cutting edge, work on a RM network for any length of time and your going to find it very difficult when you move to a different job that has a vanilla network!

What im trying to say is that I think working on a RM or CSE type of network is just dumbing down your skills, because you don't have to do the regular jobs such as AD and GP which would be normal practice on a vanilla network.

*hides ready for the barrage of angry replys*

D

Thank Post
    I suppose the question is, would it be more cost efficient to pay for a tool to help manage the network so your staff can use the additional time to develop tools to better benefit teaching and learning.

There's a lot of good folk on here that use the likes of CC3 through choice, because they can then use the additional time to create super websites, addons for Moodle, and other things that will benefit the school. Take webman for instance (sorry webman) - he's a legend, and I'm sure he could easily manage a Vanilla network with a blind fold and arms tied behind his back. The thing is, he's quite handy with a bit of code so he is, so would his time not be better spent creating something that the school could really use (like a flamethrower!) instead of sat doing stuff that RM does automatically.

We're CC3 here, but think we will be Vanilla in a year or so. The reason being, we simply can't afford to upgrade to CC4 (which is pretty much required from when M$ pull the XP licencing next year!). At times RM does my wick in, but I must admit I currently have time to do nice things such as research and such. I'm not sure I will be able to say the same when we go Vanilla.

13. 3 Thanks to Hightower:

bossman (10th June 2010), danrhodes (10th June 2010), webman (10th June 2010)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes I also moved away from a "managed" network when I first started. Was a lot of work to migrate to a Vanilla network but I learned a lot and never looked back.

Its saved our school around 50,000 in the 6 years since I did it.

No difference to the end user and I feel much more in control.

Gotta be happy with that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    danrhodes: Having RM take away a lot of fiddling, it leaves us extra time for development and implementing Linux solutions and other nice ideas, as well as needing less tech staff. Saves us money and time and headaches. YMMV.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I suppose the question is, would it be more cost efficient to pay for a tool to help manage the network so your staff can use the additional time to develop tools to better benefit teaching and learning.

There's a lot of good folk on here that use the likes of CC3 through choice, because they can then use the additional time to create super websites, addons for Moodle, and other things that will benefit the school. Take webman for instance (sorry webman) - he's a legend, and I'm sure he could easily manage a Vanilla network with a blind fold and arms tied behind his back. The thing is, he's quite handy with a bit of code so he is, so would his time not be better spent creating something that the school could really use (like a flamethrower!) instead of sat doing stuff that RM does automatically.

We're CC3 here, but think we will be Vanilla in a year or so. The reason being, we simply can't afford to upgrade to CC4 (which is pretty much required from when M$ pull the XP licencing next year!). At times RM does my wick in, but I must admit I currently have time to do nice things such as research and such. I'm not sure I will be able to say the same when we go Vanilla.
    The same with my old Network Manager he could out gun me any day on servers and the network there was CC3 but I moved up to a Network Manager somewhere else and moved from CSE to Vanilla. I think the problem arises when one company and screw you over for a full upgrade/ modules when I can go and find several solutions for free plus I ve had a few niggles with my new network but I had technet and 1000s of other forums to find a solution but with RM you wont have as many (Though RM do know there way around)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast