+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, No internet access in Technical; Internet status is determined by checking connectivity to a dedicated Microsoft site setup just for that purpose A request for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Internet status is determined by checking connectivity to a dedicated Microsoft site setup just for that purpose

A request for http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
    Page called ncsi.txt containing the following line of text with no terminating new line or other non-printing characters:
    Microsoft NCSI
    (Page headers disable caching.)

A request for DNS name resolution of dns.msftncsi.com
    Resolution of the DNS name to:

Appendix K: Network Connectivity Status Indicator and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Vista

Thank Post
    I have a DC that does that. Sometimes it clears just by clicking on the world (in the Network and Sharing Center), other times it clears if I go onto a web site. I put it down to event driven but what actual event I haven't yet tracked down.

Thank Post
    Have you configured DNS forwarders on this DC? If not, that might be a reason?

Thank Post
    I have DNS forwarding setup - appears to be working correctly. Today the DC had internet status - it appears totally random. However a client PC on the test environment that routes through this DS is showing 'no internet access' yet does so maybe it is related - I have an Exchange Server connectivity issue with this PC today so may look at resolving both issues.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thank Post
    I tracked down the test client incorrect status to what appeared to be a dns timing issue. The client only had one dns server (.2.x) configured, which was on a different subnet to the client lan (.3.x). I changed the primary dns server to be the one serving the client lan (.3.x) and kept the original dns server (.2.x) as alternate dns server. Its been running a few days now and, in test scenarios, always got the correct status.

At the same time I also updated the DC NIC port on the server for this subnet to also have an alternate dns server (hosted on the DC). Since doing this, the DC has also given the correct internet connection status.

Thank Post
    All My servers have no internet access, by design.

Thank Post
    So no WSUS updates, mail server or edge firewall etc then?

Thank Post
    <g>

..not to mention the similar to WU 'just checking for updates [to some XML definitions for something or other] ' in MSBA, and increasing in all the big MS apps somewhere or other.

I think there's a bit too much emphasis on bolting stable doors these days i.e. stopping stuff getting out after it's compromised your system! as opposed to stopping your system being compromised. Sadly I think it will take something that simply runs round deleting data files again, or PK encrypting them or something, to set that right.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh64 View Post
    So no WSUS updates, mail server or edge firewall etc then?
    sorry do apologize the WSUS is an exception, and obviously the edge firewall (in which that exception is defined),

and the mail server has no outgoing internet access , just the SMTP ports in/out to further down the chain.

the ESX hosts management ports are on a VLAN that have no chance of getting on the internet ever.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12