+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, KMS Question in Technical; Maybe I'm missing a key (pun intended) point because no KMS information seems especially clear to me, even on here. ...

Thank Post

KMS Question

Maybe I'm missing a key (pun intended) point because no KMS information seems especially clear to me, even on here.

Our DC is running Server 2008 R2. I want this to be the KMS host. It was originally installed with a MAK key, which I have now changed to our KMS key. But I didnt want to use KMS for our servers, just the Windows 7 clients. Yet I read that its the server 2008 r2 key that will also activate the 7 clients?!?
    If that is the case, why the hell have I got a Windows 7 KMS key as well?

Also, is my server now not going to be activated until there is 5 of them? Which there wont be for some time

I must be missing something. Is my server set up now to accept Windows 7 clients? (we havent got 25 but I assume I'll at least see them listed as requests)

Thank Post
    Yes, you just use mak keys on the servers you don't want to activate via KMS.

Thank Post
    But will this one server forever stay unactivated since its the only one with a KMS key? Or is the host excluded? (tbf it does seem to have activated)

Thank Post
    I have 2 domain controllers 2008 R2, one is the KMS server with the kms key and one is on a MAK key. The kms server has remained activated. You won't see much happen until you get like you say 25 clients on the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right basically think of the different KMS keys as levels of whats allowed to install (ring C) so basically generally your KMS key will activate the OS its a KMS for and earlier versions, so a windows 7 KMS key would activate w7 and vista etc. When you use a server KMS key (if its ring c - which most are for SA) it activates all older server versions and older clients (r2 allows w7)
    The client count is not exclusive either, say you need 25 for w7 and have 10 servers + 15 w7's that would give you a count of 25 and allow activation for w7 as the count is a total count regardless of OS's that make up the number.
    Also KMS only ever uses one key at a time.
    Out of interest why do you not want your servers to use it? if say KMS died on you, you can just change the key back to a MAK.

Thank Post
    Thankyou. That makes sense now!

I dont mind the servers using it, I just thought as it was going to take a while to get 5 servers upgraded (though we now have 4 including VM's to be fair) that I'd end up with them unactivated. But as they're included in the limit thats now fine - because the total including W7 machines will obviously be over 5

Edit: have just checked our key and it says it's B channel. The only ones that are listed as C on our SA is Data Centre/Itanium...we have Enterprise installed
    Last edited by sidewinder; 24th May 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Edit: have just checked our key and it says it's B channel. The only ones that are listed as C on our SA is Data Centre/Itanium...we have Enterprise installed
    I just used our C key, it allowed anything to activate (nothing btw is reported to MS other them KMS master key activation, not client) there is nothing wrong as far as I am aware with using class C even if you dont lic data center etc, MS only care if you actually used a Data Center edition without updating your account manager but not so much that you *could* activate it.

Thank Post
    Thanks, have put ours in and its accepted it fine and activated the server

Thank Post
    Right, the KMS host gets activated with Microsoft online. The other servers will activate against that KMS host. Your KMS host will be server 1 and when you add other servers, THOSE won't activate until you have a total of 5. So you need the KMS host + 4 for the 4 to activate. But the KMS is always activated since it's the machine you authenticated with MS. Never use your KMS key unless you intend for the server to be a KMS host. You get limited number of activations with the code and then have to deal with microsoft if you run out.

We use KMS here, everything activates at all sites, it's nice not having to enter a code more than once. We have a 2008 R2 DataCenter key used and anything and everything will activate against it. We too have KMS keys for 2008 R2 ENT and Win 7, etc. I assume it's just the school licensing agreement structure.

Oh yes, and also note that ALL machines will reactivate every 180 days against the host.

You can check the licensing status and the number of activated clients on the KMS host and status of other machines using the slmgr.exe command line. slmgr.exe /? will give the switched you can use. The most important are /dli and /dlv which is activation info.
    Last edited by willv28; 24th May 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

I'm as confused with KMS as Sidewinder was.

I've got a KMS host running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise which has an activated KMS Key which, as I understand it, will automatically license all my Servers (whether they run Server 2003 or 2008, but not 2008 R2) once it gets to 5 requests, and will also license all my client machines (whether they run Vista or Windows 7) once the requests get to 25. Is my understanding correct?

I want my KMS Server to also be able to license Office 2010, I've been on the website and downloaded the Office 2010 KMS packs and tried to install them however I'm being told that my operating system isn't valid (Surely Server 2008 is a valid OS?) anyone come across this before?

(Apologies for hijacking the thread :-) )

Thanks as always,

Iain

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I've got a KMS host running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise which has an activated KMS Key which, as I understand it, will automatically license all my Servers (whether they run Server 2003 or 2008, but not 2008 R2) once it gets to 5 requests, and will also license all my client machines (whether they run Vista or Windows 7) once the requests get to 25. Is my understanding correct?
    Basically yes (no activation is needed for 2003 btw) and also your 2008 KMS can (if you enter an r2 key) activate r2 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I want my KMS Server to also be able to license Office 2010, I've been on the website and downloaded the Office 2010 KMS packs and tried to install them however I'm being told that my operating system isn't valid (Surely Server 2008 is a valid OS?) anyone come across this before?
    Have you got the required updates for 2008 to allow to to work with w7 and office 2010? The default version wont handle those requests.
    For example: KMS Updates to Support Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 - Nick MacKechnie - Site Home - MSDN Blogs but I think there may be more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread