+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO to disable right click in Technical; Anyone know where this is? I've been through the net and haven't found much so thought I'd check here. The ...

Thank Post

GPO to disable right click

Anyone know where this is? I've been through the net and haven't found much so thought I'd check here.

The server here is 2008 R2 with win 7 clients set up by an external company. At the moment the pupils can delete desktop short cuts, right click on them to rename etc and right click on the desktop to get graphic options.

I've been working through trying to get the desktops locked down as best I can but I can't find how to disable the damn right click. Any help will be greatly recieved.

Thank Post
    The easiest way would be to set the 'Hide and disable all items on the desktop' policy in 'Windows Components' (User) then 'Desktop'.

You can also disable the Desktop place in the Places bar using the 'Items displayed in Places bar' policy.

3. Thanks to TomStanley from:

Dexi (19th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your response Tom.

I wish I could just Hide and disable all items on the desktop but as it's a primary school, the younger pupils especially need the shortcuts to be able to access their programmes. No matter what I've tried I can't block them from deleting, renaming etc.

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexi View Post
    Anyone know where this is? I've been through the net and haven't found much so thought I'd check here.

The server here is 2008 R2 with win 7 clients set up by an external company. At the moment the pupils can delete desktop short cuts, right click on them to rename etc and right click on the desktop to get graphic options.

I've been working through trying to get the desktops locked down as best I can but I can't find how to disable the damn right click. Any help will be greatly recieved.
    User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer -> Remove Windows Explorer's Default Context Menu

Is that the option you're looking for?

If it is, one thing to note is that when enabled, it will prevent the user from bringing up the properties window of any file, even when launched from the File menu. Annoying :-)

6. Thanks to ajs from:

rolfea (18th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi

Be careful I did this and got loads of complained from loads of teachers as they lost right click in all programs and ICT teachers who had taught the kids to right click went straight to the head.

Richard

ajs

Thank Post
    Good point.

I'd certainly try and lock the desktop down without turning off right click wherever possible.

Student logons at my previous school had right click turned off and in the end we turned it back on for Year 9 and upwards because it just became too much of a pain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread