+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Caching/Backing Up Fies URGENT! in Technical; Advice needed please - Boss doesnt know this is broken, he wouldnt be happy, cause this is the second time ...
    Thank Post

Caching/Backing Up Fies URGENT!

Advice needed please - Boss doesnt know this is broken, he wouldnt be happy, cause this is the second time this has gone wrong, so need to fix it ASAP

We have a server that we call CacheServer

This had backup exec 12.5 (I think that was the verison) on it. Has we have backup exec on it we had a scsi card and a tape drive loader connected

Also we had some sort of scripting...
    maybe sheculed tasks
    I dont know, our support company set this up

Gets annoying how they dont tell you how they set things up.

With this scripting it backed up our files on our domain controllers (We have 4) It nerver backed up the windows folder through or the pagefile. Also done the admin network servers

Looking at the scripting I have found, it used robocopy

The finished result would be two folders, circulum and admin folders, it this it would have the server name, then in that would be the c,e etc of the drives it backed up.

So for example if a studed deleted a folder of work, I could just copy the file from the cacheserver, has long has its not just been made has it would not have had the time to backup/cache the files/folders

Now this server stopped working.... So we had to reload it, luckily we manged to save the batch/script files using a live boot version of linux.

I'll upload these files later, see if you can make sense of how it who have been setup, I sort of get how its done

Now we even had trouble install Server 2008R2 (Was Server 2003R2 before, thought might has well upgrade has well) First I needed to install the raid drivers, before kept saying it wouldnt install on the partition... After few hours of stress, found a simple fix , just take the usb stick after installing the drivers or plug it in after the setup loads.... After that on the last part of the setup it just crashed and stood till, even left it on all night to see if it would move, nope... Decided to take it to the basic stuff, took out the scsi card, it worked... So scsi card is faulty! So what the bet if we took that out when the server went wrong, we wouldnt have to reload it.

Anyway anyone have any sugguestions how to set this up if you understand what I mean with the setup

Any better way than using robocopy with im gusing sheculed tasks?

Has we reloaded the server we have install Backup Exec 2010, is there any features that does? Never used Backup Exec, so dont really know

Has I said i'll upload the files later, only if the cirtix server all of sudden works, has it just stopped working when I was working logged on it. Or tomorrow when I get into work. Has the files are in my network drive, forgot to copy them onto my stick.

Thanks alot in advance

Thank Post
    Bumping.......

Thank Post
    It difficult to understand what's been happening without seeing the scripts.

To summarise the situation:

You had - 2003R2 server called CacheServer. This had 12.5 BackupExec on. The server has a SCSI card in. A series of robocopy scripts are run on the server.

My guess of what's happened in the past is the scripts have copied files from various servers to the cacheserver and then backed up these using backup exec to a scsi device.

You have reinstalled the server with 2008R2, unfortunately I don't believe backup exec 12.5 runs on 2008r2. 2008r2 could also be the issue with the scsi device to - it may not have drivers available.

There are several things you need to check:
    Is the scsi device recognised in device manager?
    What are the scripts doing (does it need a series of folders on a specific drive)?
    Is the firewall on the server stopping some of the scripts?

However, if you don't know what you're doing you need to bite the bullet and tell your boss.

Thank Post
    two secs i'll upload them, forgot to do that, also found a document on how it runs

Nah were sure the scsi care has gone fauty, no worrys about that now, been quoted £160 for a new one... We have to get that ordered next week, so we can get our tape backups running again

We have been told our licence has expired for backup exec anyway, so were good to get a new licence for the new version

No scripts, I havent resetup yet, not sure extually how to put it back, ie what version of robocopy would I need, where to put the exe etc

Like I said is there a better way than using robocopy?

Whats this symantec active protection or something that come with backup exec disc? Does that do anything like that?
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 15th May 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: answered questions

Thank Post
    Ok files uploaded

Sorry forgot to do this, with being busy upgrading one of our server yesturday to 2008R2

I did clear the logs on the files, but did leave all the information at the top in case you need that info

It not me that needs to tell the boss, it my supervisor, but doesnt want to say anything

Actually the other day he was talking about having a cloud backup, dont like that idea, would be too slow to backup!

Would robocopy even work correclly on 2008R2? has this was running on 2003R2 before
    On one more server to upgrade, so robocopy would be hosted on 2008R2 and backup 4 2008R2 servers and also 3 admin server that run 2003R2 on the admin network

Thank Post
    The scripts are making backups of your curriculum servers and backup exec is backing these up along with your admin computers.

Robocopy will work fine with 2008r2 - its actually now included by default (go to a command prompt and type robocopy /? to check its available)
    Is there anything better than robocopy - well you could use backup exec on all your servers - you'd need extra licences for them though.

As long as the scripts are scheduled and you have the drive / directory structure setup this should all work as before (with the firewall set correctly)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread