+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Preference Issue in Technical; I've got a GPO on my computers that applys preference settings to the computer and sets the power saving on ...

Thank Post

Preference Issue

I've got a GPO on my computers that applys preference settings to the computer and sets the power saving on the monitors to 5 minutes. I've then got a GPO on the uses that sets it again. If your students it sets it to 5 minutes, if your staff 1hr.

Now as I usnderstand it preference settings are set at the time but are changeable unlike policies. Also when a user logs in it should apply the user policy changing the settings.

The problem is that a couple of teachers seem to have a problem in that their screen's go off after 5 minutes. Now when I log in and test it the setting look OK and after 5 minutes the screen stays on. All accounts are in the same OU so they are the same. Any idea why this may occur? I've just tried deleting one's local profile to see what happens...

Thank Post
    I'd make life simpler Stu and just set a computer policy on your top level OU and make all machines power settings the same? Do your screens lock after a certain time, we set ours low incase staff leave sims logged in and go away from their pc, its an extra security blanket!

D

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    What version of Windows do you have on the workstations? If it's XP, I've noticed it seems to be a law unto itself when it comes to power options preferences.

Thank Post
    Oops. yes forgot to mention it's XP SP3 clients.

@dan I could put seperate policies onto the Classroom PC's with a longer timeout. Don't have a screensaver on the PC's contemplated it. I just use it as a stick for those that don't lock/logoff when they leave. The think is that the teacher machines need a timeout of about 1hr in case they've left stuff on screen or are showing DVD's. The pupils and the PC's only need 5 minutes as I don't need the machines on all the time.

I suppose if the asnwer is "XP does whatever it want's and makes it up as it goes along" I'll have to alter the PC timeout. I was hoping there was an easy answer. Goooo Windows!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread