+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008 R2 Clock Delay in Technical; I have a 2008 R2 server which is a DC that holds all the FSMO roles. I've noticed recently the ...

Thank Post

2008 R2 Clock Delay

I have a 2008 R2 server which is a DC that holds all the FSMO roles. I've noticed recently the server clock is always a few minutes behind real time and this affects all the workstations in the domain. Obviously when I manually push the clock to the correct time it's fine and works okay for a little while before the problem resurfaces again.

What can I do to ensure the server clock always has the true time?

NB: The server is a VM sitting on ESXi 4.0

(Shouldn't make any difference what hypervisor/hardware it sits on, right?)

Thank Post
    The hypervisor could affect it but as the PDCe should be the time server you need to set this to receive updates from a time server or maybe your router if you can.

Take a look at this.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1318

EDIT - More here.

For virtual machines that are configured as domain controllers, disable time synchronization with the host through Integration Services. Instead, accept the default Windows Time service (W32time) domain hierarchy time synchronization.

Host time synchronization makes it possible for guest operating systems to synchronize their system clocks with the system clock of the host operating system. Because domain controllers have their own time synchronization mechanism, host time synchronization must be disabled on virtual machines that are configured as domain controllers. If domain controllers synchronize time from their own source and also synchronize time from the host, the domain controller time can change frequently. Because many domain controller tasks are tied to the system time, a jump in the system time could cause lingering objects to be left in the directory and replication to be stopped.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...49(WS.10).aspx
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th May 2010 at 04:57 PM.

3. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Chuckster (4th May 2010)

Thank Post
    hardware no but someone at our office set up an 2008 box and diddnt change the time (they did on the dc vm its running but diddnt notice the time go back as time was aprox right just date was wrong buy 6 months) then all the vms on it (and then the network pcs) picked up the time from that and it was 6 moths wrong lol

Thank Post
    I've configured the NTP server to contact uk.pool.ntp.org (was time.windows.com) for its time, and so far so good. I've also configured it to poll time every 10 minutes rather than the default 15 minutes. Thanks for the heads up, CM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread