+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Terminal Server issue - just a blue screen on login in Technical; Hi, Sorry if this should be in Thin Client form, thought it was more of a 2008R2 issue! We're having ...
    Thank Post

Terminal Server issue - just a blue screen on login

Hi,
    Sorry if this should be in Thin Client form, thought it was more of a 2008R2 issue!
    We're having random issues with users logging into our 2008R2 TS farm. Some users login okay, others sit for a very long time, or indefinite, with a blue background. They can ctrl+alt+del and logout but that's it. It's as if explorer doesn't start.

I'm wondering if it comes down to profiles, folder redirection and drive mapping? We have a mandatory profile for all users on our TS. All users have a .bat login file (on all PCs not just thin clients) that maps the shared drives and home drive. Home drive is also set in AD, and we also use folder redirection. It could be time to rethink how we do this, but I'm reluctant to change anything during term time (unless it's definitely this), especially as we have experienced the deleting home directories that's been mentioned by some Windows 7 users.

The event log on the Terminal Server typically shows something like this error
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "\\bart\pupils\yr05055\".
    Redirection options=0x80009211.
    The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\bart\pupils\yr05055"".
    The users folders do exist, and are accessible to them from Fat clients

I'm getting a lot of flack for this from one member of staff.... Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Joe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Some users login okay, others sit for a very long time, or indefinite, with a blue background.
    Have those users previously logged in, does the TS server think they are still logged in? We had a similar-looking issue on Server 2003, running an application (SIMS) on startup. Some users would close the application but their TS sessions wouldn't terminate properly, so the next time they logged in they would be presented with their old session with nothing running. I simply set the log-out-if-idle threshold a bit lower and had the server reboot itself overnight to cull any left-over sessions.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The latest issue happened first lesson this morning. The Terminal servers were all rebooted before school this morning, and I currently have the end disconnected session at 30 minutes and idle session at 1 hour. I will double check this is future though, in case the pupils have used thin clients during reg/previous lesson elsewhere and not logged out properly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread