+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Odd Drive mappping Issue in Technical; I notice an odd problem today. As far as I can tell it's a bit random and I wondered if ...

Thank Post

Odd Drive mappping Issue

I notice an odd problem today. As far as I can tell it's a bit random and I wondered if anyone else had come accross it.

XP clients, in the profile their home drive is mapped to h: and \\servername\sharename$\username.
    Also "My Documents" is redirected to the users home drive.

When I click on My document it opens their area.
    When I clicked on H it opened up \\servername\sharename$

Seemed a bit random as it didn't happen on all machines and I looked at a couple of teacher accounts and some did this and some didn't. It did it for me on an XP machine but I think my Win7 is OK.

bio
    Thank Post
    In my days i have seen some weird things if one uses the home drive feature in the user ADUC properties. Its an "old" feature still remaining from the NT4 days. Thats why i allways create the home drive mapping via logon scripts. Maybe it helps somehow.

bio..

Thank Post
    sounds a bit like a problem i was having with office 2003 and folder redirection. I had users set up \\server\users$\20008\username and while every other program seemed ok (diddnt try any other office apps but general stuff textease paint.net etc) word pre sp3 just bombed post sp3 gave a useful message. In teh end i had to add list/read permission on this folder only to users$ and 2008 etc then it worked fine

Thank Post
    Yet it seems odly random. For example I sent my techie out to do some work in one of our suites yesterdays. My AV software blocks and logs any exe files on the network (as I've only just installed R2 and haven't got it doing that). In the logs sometime is blocks h:\*.exe name and sometimes it blocke h:\username\*.exe. So sometimes his H: is mapped correctly and sometimes it isn't.

Thank Post
    Yes I have had this. The only things I have found to cause it is the server is overloaded and the map command times out before getting to the directory. The other thing I have found that causes it is if a switch is getting over loaded or is getting broken or overheated. Try using wireshark and search for arp broadcasts. If a machine or server has been removed from the network the machines will continue to search for the machine using braodcast and so will cause lots of traffic. Once you have found the computer name they are searching for have a look at group policy and make sure things point at the correct place and have a look at client machines and see why they are search for machine that no longer exists like its trying to use a shared printer.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread