First post. Sorry its a long/detailed one. I am setting up a new school office network for a local school. First time W7 and Server 2008 user - last time I configured Server was in 3.51 days! A VMS application developer in a previous life and we had network guys to setup the routing specifics.
We have a server with 4 NICs. One is for internet, one for school office which is what I am configuring for, one is for IT/servers LAN and a final one spare for when school machines get added. I am using an active server domain.
I currently have a Windows 7 PC connected via DHCP to office LAN. Subnet is 192.168.3.x. The Server is on .1, a Netgear Smartswitch is on .2 and DHCP allocated .100 to the Windows 7 PC.
On the IT LAN (192.168.2.x), in addition to the physical server (192.168.2.1) I have two Hyper-V virtual machines, one is an application server (.22) and the other is a security server (.11) running and evaluation of TMG. The security server then uses the Internet Lan (192.168.1.50) to go out to my broadband router (192.168.1.254).
I am 90% happy that server network is working as it should, except for routing from the 192.168.3.x subnet. On the server I can access the internet, likewise from application server and security server. DNS appears to be working fine.
The problem that I am having is that the windows 7 PC cannot connect to the internet, or more specifically, cannot connect/ping through the W2008R2 server other than to its specific IP addresses, 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.2.1. DNS resolution on W7 PC works fine and I can remote desktop in from the server.
I suspect subnet routing issues on the server. To simplify this a little, it didn't work when I had the single server without virtual machines and TMG so I think that whilst TMG must be considered, its not the fundamental problem.
On main server, the IT LAN (192.168.2.1) has a default gateway of the security server, 192.168.2.11.
On the Win7 client, it has a default gateway of the server office NIC, 192.168.3.1. I have tried other values and if set to other than this, I loose DNS name resolution.
I have installed routing and remote access on server and tried both RIP and IGMP routers, the later currently being in use. I have added all the NIC's to these but no routing appears to be going on.
Possibly I need to setup static routes? I have tried many options, but no luck.
Of course, with me being new to 2008R2 and AD, it may be something simple like I need to authorise the W7 client to access the network, even though it is part of the domain and I am testing it with domain admin user. Have also tried turning various firewalls off.
Apologies for the long question. Hopefully the solution will be nice and simple!
DHCP - IP:192.168.3.100, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.3.1 (Access type - No Internet access)
Netgear GS108T Smartswitch
Static - IP:192.168.3.2, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.3.1
Windows 2008R2 Server
Office NIC Static - IP:192.168.3.1, Mask 255.255.255.0 (Access type - Internet)
IT LAN NIC Static - IP:192.168.2.1, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.2.11 (Access type - Internet)
Windows 2008R2 Server (Virtual)
IT LAN NIC Static - IP:192.168.2.11, Mask 255.255.255.0 (Access type - No Internet access)
Forefront TMG 2010 Eval
Internet NIC Static - IP:192.168.1.50, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.254 (Access type - Internet)
O2 Router (homebased testbed)
Internet NIC Static - IP:192.168.1.254, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway as O2 default