+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, MS Data Protection Manager in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Simcfc73
    Think it was less than £100 for the license and now have a couple of 1.5Tb drives for external backup

Is there any chance I could have your seller details please? if it is around £100 I will definetly buy this, I have been playing and researching all day into DPM 2010 and was gutted when I found that it could not backup to any of our NAS drives!!!

Backup up to 2 x 640gig USBs will be perfect for hyper-V backups.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Is this MS Data Protection Management really too good to be true!

I came across this thread, as we currently have Backup Exec 12 (on Server 2008 backing up to a LTO4 TL2000 SAS Tape Library) and I was originally looking at upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 so we could backup Windows 2008 R2 etc.

I've just received some costs from our Microsoft Volume Licence Supplier and the cost per Server etc is not much at all. A lot less than upgrading to Backup Exec 2010.

Does it have to be installed on a dedicated server? Could i simply install on the same server that currently has the Backup Exec 12 Server software installed with the TL2000 SAS Tape Library connected to it?

And this will backup all the licensed server(s) and include SQL Databases?? (without extra agents that are normally required for Backup Exec 12?)

Tell me more..

Thank Post
    Cheapest ive found Firestreamer for so far is £435 !!!! I think I might have to put MDP 2010 on hold
    Has anyone found Firestreamer cheaper? Ive called all the listed resellers.

Apart from buying new drives, the only other option we have is to install it on our server connected to our MD300 array but we cant as its 2k3 datacentre edition .

Regarding licencing, we have 3 hosts with 4 virtual machines on each.
    Would you need 3 x enterprise licences to cover them all, or would we need a licence for each virtual server? (Meaning 12 x licenses)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Does it have to be installed on a dedicated server? Could i simply install on the same server that currently has the Backup Exec 12 Server software installed with the TL2000 SAS Tape Library connected to it?
    I very, very, strongly recommend a dedicated server (as do Microsoft). That said, if you are replacing your Backup Exec system, then DPM would then have the server to itself, correct?

Certainly don't install it with anything important (e.g. a DC), and bear in mind it can't back anything up from the server it resides on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    And this will backup all the licensed server(s) and include SQL Databases?? (without extra agents that are normally required for Backup Exec 12?).
    DPM does require agent software to be installed on each machine. The licences for these are similarly inexpensive. You will need Enterprise licenses for protecting SQL or Exchange, Standard for almost anything else.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone having trouble backing up sharepoint 2010?

I've added our sharepoint server, installed the agent fine but can't see the sharepoint site, only the sql databases.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Anyone having trouble backing up sharepoint 2010?

I've added our sharepoint server, installed the agent fine but can't see the sharepoint site, only the sql databases.
    Have you got an enterprise Licence or standard? I think you need enterprise machine licence for SQL, AD and sharepoint backups

Thank Post
    Too good to be true, as has been mentioned.
    Easy to install and configure and very cheap under the schools agreement. Saved me shelling out 1,000's on the Symantec solution.

Having an issue with Exchange 2003 though. Replica is constantly inconsistant despite following numerous advice to resolve.

Maybe it's time I upgraded. I still have time this summer I guess unless anyone has the "no BS" solution as the old "copy eseutil.exe and ese.dll" thing just doesn;t work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    and bear in mind it can't back anything up from the server it resides on itself.
    are you sure about that? what version are you on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    are you sure about that? what version are you on?
    I'm pretty certain I read that somewhere when looking into DPM 2010.

Still not solved the exchange issue BTW. I found an article that said to install exchange 2007 x64 management tools and use the eseutil and ese.dll from that but have had a hellish time trying to get a copy that doesn't download corrupted.

Why the installation can't just ask you what version of Exchange you are using and then install the correct versions of the files is beyond me. It's the only downpoint of the whole experience so far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds View Post
    I'm pretty certain I read that somewhere when looking into DPM 2010.

Still not solved the exchange issue BTW. I found an article that said to install exchange 2007 x64 management tools and use the eseutil and ese.dll from that but have had a hellish time trying to get a copy that doesn't download corrupted.

Why the installation can't just ask you what version of Exchange you are using and then install the correct versions of the files is beyond me. It's the only downpoint of the whole experience so far.
    duds check your pm

11. Thanks to oxide54 from:

Duds (11th August 2010)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I gave up on DPM in the end. I had the same problems trying to backup exchange 2003 and lots of other little things along the way.

I wrote a blog post about it vs. backupexec 2010 which we now upgraded to.

http://www.edugeek.net/blogs/zag/455...exec-2010.html

13. 2 Thanks to zag:

Alis_Klar (13th September 2010), fox1977 (3rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Upgraded to DPM2010 over the summer. Love it! No more intervention require when replicas become inconsistent or run out of space etc... If that happens DPM deals with it automatically, grows the volume (assuming you have told it to) and resolves the error itself.

Run it on the same server as BE 2010 with no problems.

Thank Post
    From my comment on zag's blog
    Nice review. I have been struggling to install DPM 2010 too. The first hurdle was I had no Servers with 2008 R2 on. Installed that on a test box fine.

Next problem our domain was still at the windows 2000 functional level (DPM 2010 requires 2003 func level at least)
    Still didn't work i think because it had a partially uninstalled instance of sql. I'm going to rebuild my 2008 R2 server when i get time.

The reason I looked into DPM was because it was so cheap and makes use of the previous version client so users can restore files themselves. Also it does de-duplication and i've always hated the Veritas interface.
    Still wan't to get DPM up and running though. Have tested quite a few different backup solutions (a lot were recommended on edugeek)

Thank Post
    I'm guessing installing Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway on our server running DPM is a nono?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I'm guessing installing Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway on our server running DPM is a nono?
    DPM should be on its own server.

2010 is a big improvement on 2007 which seemed to get inconsistant all the time. Restores can be done in mins, cant belive how much time its saved over the old RM tape system we had. Not setup end user recovery either.

+1 DPM 2010
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 16th December 2010 at 04:31 PM.

18. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Griff (17th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast