+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Folder Redirection - BIG problems in Technical; I have setup Desktop and Start Menu re-direction on my test server. Something I did on Server 2003 and it ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection - BIG problems

I have setup Desktop and Start Menu re-direction on my test server. Something I did on Server 2003 and it seemed to work ok. I am having a bit of a "hit and miss" affair with Server 2008 R2. The re-direction works ok, but I have to log the user off then on again before I get the correct desktop shortcuts and start menu.

I'm sure this is down to the way the policy is running...here is the error from the event log:-

"The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance."

Once I log the user off and back on again I get the following two errors in the event log:-

First:
    "Windows failed to apply the Folder Redirection settings. Folder Redirection settings might have its own log file. Please click on the "More information" link."

Second:
    "The Group Policy settings for the user were processed successfully. New settings from 2 Group Policy objects were detected and applied."

Each time I also get a pop up saying "You have been logged on with a temporary profile" (see screen shot) and a number of Temp profiles are created in users. BUT - the desk top is now ok, so is the start menu, both of which are on the server.

Ref to the fault is found here, but no fix.

Event ID 1112 ? Application of Group Policy

Anyone out there seen and fixed this fault????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    I'd guess that a profile issue, not a FR one.

How are your profiles set up for the effected user?

3. Thanks to Diello from:

bewlay51 (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Looks like a rights issue, either write access to PC or read access to server copy of profile.

5. Thanks to timzim from:

bewlay51 (20th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help and suggestions. This is on my test 2008 R2 server and Win7 PC, so I’m going to have another look at it tomorrow (Sunday) and change access rights etc to prove a point.

By the way, it happens to the three test users that the “students” group policy is applied to. I have setup some mapped drives and restrictions in the policy, they work ok, every time.

Thanks again….

John

Thank Post
    Partly fixed !!!

The temporary profile error (see screen shot) was my fault and was due to the fact this test Win7 PC had been a member of a W2K3 domain and I had logged on with the same two student names; so they had SID's from another domain!!. . See....

A temporary profile is loaded after you log on to a Windows Vista-based system

I deleted all the sub keys that had any mention of student1 and student2. That fixed the temporary profile log error.

I'm still having some issues with the profiles not always taking effect first time and I'm sure this is due to services starting too quickly on the workstation. Any help there.

Thank Post
    While testing I would enable "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" in your group policy. It's found under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon.

We found this was needed for XP and is still needed for 7 to ensure solid startup results.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread