+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, New virtualisation / Win 2008 R2 setup in Technical; Hi Folks Have been lurking here for a bit but took the plunge and decided to register as I'm looking ...

Thank Post

New virtualisation / Win 2008 R2 setup

Hi Folks

Have been lurking here for a bit but took the plunge and decided to register as I'm looking for some advice. Before I start I should mention I don't actually work in the Education sector ( I used to), I work for a charity now. I'm also not sure what forum this should be in, so a mod might want to move it.

I currently have the following setup:

Site A:
    Approx 60 users with approx 40 PCs (all running Win XP)
    1 Win 2003 DC (Dell 2900 2Ghz 4Gb RAM) This pretty much runs everything, DNS, File and Print (using DFS), Exchange 2003 (80 users over both sites).

Site B:
    Approx 20 users with approx 10 PCs (running Win XP)
    This has only recently opened and is currently connected to Site A via VPN over an ADSL connection.
    It has a temporary PC running Win 2003 R2 acting as a local DC, along with File server (using DFS) and print server.

I'm planning to have a 20Mb connection between sites, for use with VOIP, video conferencing, general network connection.

I'm looking to be able to run Site B as a Disaster Recovery site, so if anything was to happen to the server at site A it doesn't have as big an impact on everyone as it would currently. I'd also like to upgrade to Win 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 ( and further down the line Windows 7)

My plans are something like the following:

- Purchase a new server for Site A and install Win 2008 R2, setup multiple Virtual Machines on it e.g.
    VM1 - DC (also keep a physical server as a DC, possible a HP ML115 which I have)
    VM2 - Exchange 2010 (not sure if standard or enterprise, but may make use of the Unified Comms stuff)
    VM3 - File server (DFS), print server, WSUS, Antivirus
    VM4 - inhouse database accessed via IIS, which will probably move from Access to SQLserver

- Purchase a new server for Site B with Win 2008 R2
    VM1 - DC
    VM2 - File server (DFS), eventually setting up branch cache
    Other VMs - ???

What would be the best way of being able to switch over to running Exchange from Site B incase something happened server at Site A. Could I setup DPM 2007 or 2010 in Site A to backup the VMs and then also setup DPM in Site B, with Site B backing up the VMs from the DPM in Site A
    This way in an emergency I would just need to setup a VM on site B with the image of the Exchange VM from Site A ? Would this work ?

I had thought about the possibility of getting 2 servers for site A with shared storage to store the VMs, to add extra redundancy, but budgets might prohibit this. The Sun 7000 series SANs get recommended here but might well be too expensive. Also not sure how to replicate the data to Site B.

Had also thought about possible using a HP Lefthand multi-site Virtual SAN. Again costs might prohibit this.

I have been thinking of going with Hyper-V for the VMs due to the fact that as a charity we can get cheap Microsoft products.

I have approx £13k ish of a budget for this, any thoughts on my plans, recommendations on hardware etc.

Many thanks

Mark

Thank Post

Easy

Use Hyper-V and Double-Take Availability. Fit into budget no trouble.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MRmr View Post
    What would be the best way of being able to switch over to running Exchange from Site B incase something happened server at Site A. Could I setup DPM 2007 or 2010 in Site A to backup the VMs and then also setup DPM in Site B, with Site B backing up the VMs from the DPM in Site A
    This way in an emergency I would just need to setup a VM on site B with the image of the Exchange VM from Site A ? Would this work ?
    I'm not sure if it's the best way of doing it, but it would work as far as I can tell. DPM2010 allows you to replicate to another DPM server (tends to be called the DR - Disaster recovery server). This would syncronise with your primary DPM server in Site A to whatever schedule you specify. In the event that your primary DPM goes down, then the DR server can become the new primary server until such time as the primary is back up. Then providing you have enough capacity in the host server at site B, you could restore the VM and have it back up and running very quickly. In order not to suffer too much data loss, you would need a pretty frequent syncro between the DPM servers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread