+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Backing up Hyper-V in Technical; Hi, Has anyone got SCSI passthrough working so you can backup a guest VM to a tape drive? I have ...

Thank Post

Backing up Hyper-V

Hi,

Has anyone got SCSI passthrough working so you can backup a guest VM to a tape drive? I have tried the starwind one but the tape won't attach to the initiator so my backup strategy is a little messed up.

What I have is a Buffalo NAS which backs up all the kids work which I have been dumping backups from my new Hyper-V server to but I would like to backup the SQL server files and some other files to a tape on a guest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone got SCSI passthrough working so you can backup a guest VM to a tape drive? I have tried the starwind one but the tape won't attach to the initiator so my backup strategy is a little messed up.

What I have is a Buffalo NAS which backs up all the kids work which I have been dumping backups from my new Hyper-V server to but I would like to backup the SQL server files and some other files to a tape on a guest.
    Have you thought about using Microsoft Data Protection Manager at all? That could manage everything for you.

See: http://www.microsoft.com/systemcente...s/default.aspx

Thank Post
    Yeah I have just been installing it to see how it goes... really cheap with the schools agreement

Thank Post
    This is really peeing me off now.

Native Backup in W2008 doesn't support tape drive so I installed DPM, the tapes aren't big enough so I decided to use external USB drive... DPM doesn't like them so I thought I would use external USB drives with native backup... it keeps naming the changed USB's the same so it won't format them

I have ordered an internal eSata card to try and use DPM with Sata drives but its really annoying me. I have been backing up to a shared drive for now which isn't ideal.

Just glad I haven't put it into full service yet.

Thank Post
    @Simcfc73

Have you got any Backup Exec Licenses - The new BE 2010 supports backing up VM and guest within all under a one scan backup job! I am in process of testing but seems like it may do the job.

Hope you have more luck with your new SATA card

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    This is really peeing me off now.

Native Backup in W2008 doesn't support tape drive so I installed DPM, the tapes aren't big enough so I decided to use external USB drive... DPM doesn't like them so I thought I would use external USB drives with native backup... it keeps naming the changed USB's the same so it won't format them

I have ordered an internal eSata card to try and use DPM with Sata drives but its really annoying me. I have been backing up to a shared drive for now which isn't ideal.

Just glad I haven't put it into full service yet.
    DPM 2010RC seems very good for backing up Hyper-V so far (it should be though, it was designed to do this). DPM is fussy about short term disk storage and how it's configured though. Ideally you would want it attached to a SAN or a large dedicated disk array on the server itself. I use the latter configuration plus a Quantum Superloader tape libary for long term storage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread