+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008 R2 and Hyper-V in Technical; Over the weekend I upgraded my testbed of a server (HP ML115 with AMD Opterton 1210) to Server 2008 R2. ...

Thank Post

2008 R2 and Hyper-V

Over the weekend I upgraded my testbed of a server (HP ML115 with AMD Opterton 1210) to Server 2008 R2.

I stuck the Hyper-V role on it and to my surprise it seems to work! Considering the fact I thought Hyper-V needed VT extenstions to function I was more than surprised?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You will be able to have x86 Guest Operating Systems, But Due to you not having VT Fuctions wont be able to have x64 Guest Operating Systems... thats how i understand it anyway.

I have a Dell Poweredge Server here on my desk, and it is x64 but does not have VT Support so therefore i cannot have x64 Guest Operating Systems.. which annoys the hell out of me!

J

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    james do you know why they recommend that if you use the bare metal hyper-V install, that you can't run SVR 2k8 guests?
    the manual said you had to have at least core install or full install with the role added.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    james do you know why they recommend that if you use the bare metal hyper-V install, that you can't run SVR 2k8 guests?
    the manual said you had to have at least core install or full install with the role added.
    Not quite sure mate, I do not use HyperV for my VM's never really bothered with it. I use VMware ESXI and/or Solaris/VirtualBox to Run my VM's.

I'll do some digging though just incase something pops out that could answer your question.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    You will be able to have x86 Guest Operating Systems, But Due to you not having VT Fuctions wont be able to have x64 Guest Operating Systems... thats how i understand it anyway.

I have a Dell Poweredge Server here on my desk, and it is x64 but does not have VT Support so therefore i cannot have x64 Guest Operating Systems.. which annoys the hell out of me!

J
    sure no execute ram and virtualisation arent just turned off by default in the bios like they are on some older hp serverg5 ml350 iirc

main issue i have atm is that the current version of apc powerchutes 8.0.1 wont install if it detects hyper v turned on says basically shell out for a business lic and nic card. Apparently 8.0.0 is fine but i cant find it. Whats it got to do with apc what roles my server runs as long as hyper v is set right and you allow enough shutdown time i see no issue

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    Over the weekend I upgraded my testbed of a server (HP ML115 with AMD Opterton 1210) to Server 2008 R2.

I stuck the Hyper-V role on it and to my surprise it seems to work! Considering the fact I thought Hyper-V needed VT extenstions to function I was more than surprised?!
    Some of those servers do actually have that function are you sure that one hasn't got it? I know that my servers at work don't have it and as a result I cannot use Hyper-V on them at all as they refuse to install due to that lack of function

Thank Post
    There isn't any Virtualization options in the BIOS but so far I've created a Windows Server 2003 x32 VM and a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 VM and they both work fine!

So there you go. Much cleaner than having to stick VMWare Server 2 on the top too! (And seems to perform better...At the moment!!!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The processor that you meantioned does have AMD-V which is AMDs version of VT and is supported by Hyper-V: AMD Processors for Servers and Workstations: AMD Opteron? Processor

This would be much faster than the VM Ware server hypervisor you were using before, it should also be able to run ESXi and 64bit guest OSs too but personally I prefer Hyper-V, I find its configuration tools - especially on the host far more civilized

Thank Post
    does anyone use the bare metal hyper-v standalone? i found a document that listed win2k8 svr as a possible guest.
    i think the downside is that you have little management on it and also there's no VM migration, which makes it a big downer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    does anyone use the bare metal hyper-v standalone? i found a document that listed win2k8 svr as a possible guest.
    i think the downside is that you have little management on it and also there's no VM migration, which makes it a big downer.
    I don't use it personally but it is free and avalible fro download here http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-ser...s/default.aspx

It does seem support live migration, clustered setups and VDI out of the box though so it is quite feature rich compared to ESXi when it comes to bells and whistles. Looking at the site it also included bitlocker to encrypt the whole thing in case of theift along with live backup support with a block level backup product.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 16th February 2010 at 09:29 AM.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

vikpaw (17th February 2010)

Thank Post
    cheers buddy, that may well have saved me a lot of time and hassle.

that information wasn't included with the version i downloaded from technet and the manuals / websites are all too confusing because the names of different products are so similar.

should have just gone to the home page, doh! :slap:

strange that the free standalone does better things than the one with windows standard...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread