Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Migrating DCs From 2003 to 2008 in Technical; Im sure sure if this has been covered yet but i am looking at migrating from 2003 to 2008 R2 ...
16th November 2009, 09:12 PM #1
- Rep Power
Migrating DCs From 2003 to 2008
Im sure sure if this has been covered yet but i am looking at migrating from 2003 to 2008 R2 for our 2 domain controllers and move to 2 completly new Rackmount servers. This is really to cater for the possibility of mover to windows 7 in the future.
What would be the process involved in doing this as i have not done this before.
17th November 2009, 07:14 AM #2
I would do the following :
1. Backup your 2 old DC's (full backup + system state)
2. Install windows 2008 R2 on both new DC's
3. Run DC promo on both new DC's
4. move FSMO roles to the new DC's
5. Make both DC's a Global Catalog
6. Migrate DHCP services from old DC's to new DC's
7. Move any manual made shares from old DC's to new DC's
8. Check if policies, netlogon and sysvol shares aer replicated to new DC's servers
9. Check if AD object are replicated to new Dc's
10. run DCPROMO on both old DC's to demote them
11. remove 2 old DC's from the domain
12. Raise your forest and domain to windows 2008 R2
13. check, check & check if everything works ok.. (login, etc..etc..)
3 Thanks to bio:
dirtydog (17th November 2009), speckytecky (17th November 2009), zag (18th November 2009)
17th November 2009, 08:05 AM #3
are you currently running anything like Ranger, Winsuite, R# (sorry can't sware on here) or anything like that? if so have you checked they support servers running 2K8R2?
17th November 2009, 08:35 AM #4
- Rep Power
Originally Posted by bio
Would i keep the domain controllers names the same? or doesn't it matter
No i dont run Ranger or anything like that.
17th November 2009, 01:57 PM #5
Just give them new names. We switch between DS1 DS2 etc etcc.. to DC1 DC2 etc etc..
By bandgeekmafia78 in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 27th August 2009, 11:04 AM
By broyles in forum Windows Server 2008
Last Post: 10th April 2008, 03:58 PM
By robbied69 in forum Windows
Last Post: 29th February 2008, 02:13 PM
By tosca925 in forum Windows
Last Post: 16th September 2007, 01:16 PM
By ChrisH in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 5th December 2005, 11:31 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)