+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RdWeb and File Access in Technical; Now then all, I was thinking..... maybe a bad idea! I run the RD Web access and setup the Gateway ...

Thank Post

RdWeb and File Access

Now then all,

I was thinking..... maybe a bad idea!

I run the RD Web access and setup the Gateway for RemoteAPP access, I have it secured down with SSL and successfully published sims.net access through the site (or any other remoteapp), this works a dream i must say. ( Although the isa setup to get this working was abit of pain in the arse, especially Cos I already have OWA listening on the same IP- the gateway only pipes traffic through the default port 443 and can not be changed so I piped the traffic through 4433 to the OWA to get around it.

My question is I am very interested in publishing Network Shares through the RDWeb site and what to know if anyone has done this.

It would be great to have a icon listed that opens up a file explorer listing the mapped network drives on the server giving the staff ability to copy files from the shared resources to their machine at home.. or accessing students documents for marking.

Chris

Thank Post
    I'm playing with RDweb myself at the moment, and after reading your post I've had a go at getting a file manager working. Here is what I found.

You can publish explorer.exe and it works, providing you have group policy in place to map home drives and hide all others you do get a working file manager. There is however a downside to this (there always is)

The explorer functions in a shell still and you cant drop and drag from the RD explorer to your desktop, you can however "Copy" and "Paste" files, I did this by accident and was quite pleased at it working.

The other issue I'm trying to think around, tho depending on how its looked at its not an issue, is what happens when you open a file in the explorer, it opens the application in another RD window (in some cases considerably faster than the desktop version but ). If going across the net or a slow home connection this could prove an issue.

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise as my client to test this, I'm not sure how other systems will react.

Thank Post
    That is interesting.. Never though of publishin the explorer.exe

Going to test this out now and see how it goes....

Few points:

I have each shared mapped to the server, Lets say the user who logins into the RDweb has access to drive 1 and drive 2, I assume if they click on any other drive they will not be allowed access? I will test this and find out.

What I am interested in is... Lets say in RDweb we can create a link to each indvidual shared resource folder and using the remoteapp permissions hide the icons for users that dont need that shared folder so when they log on to the RDweb they will only see the icons to the shared folders they are allowed access to

I like the fact that in does open documents in the explorer window but as a rule I think copying and pasting that to their desktops before opening would be a good idea

off to try it out. i'll let you know how I go.

w00t w00t.

Thank Post
    For drive mappings, we have everything done by group policy preference now.

C: Hidden (and D: in some cases). CD-Roms are all set as Z:, and the server doesnt have a CD drive to appear for the users to click.

In my test with explorer, all they could see was their N: (Home drive), the libraries were all nice and empty, but I need to see if I can hide them by policy because it would only confuse people if they saw them. (We are still XP everywhere apart from my desktop).

Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go

Thank Post
    This is sweet as.

Firstly I always Hide C: Cdrom is set to D: and I manage USB drives on Y: and Z: with policy's to restrict file type access running from them, you name it I have it set, I run a very tight network... after 5 years here as NM I have seen every trick Students have done ( although now everything is blocked they have resorted to bringing in Excel spreadsheets with games embedded inside the sheet, little blinders! I cant block excel so looks like they have won on that one.)

back to RDWeb: So I published explorer.exe then tested it using my staff test account, this only connects the network drives staff should get inc. H:. Excellent!

Then tested it with SLT account and they get the mapped drives with the addition of extra drives available to them, this goes on....

Looks like I am all sorted! This is quite fantastic as it will only map out the drives specified by the GPO for that user.

Damn.. I have only been using 2008 R2 for a couple of weeks now and I must say I rather like it.

Thanks for that, I wouldnt of thought of publishing the explorer.exe... makes no sense at all that this would work but there you go.

I have just purchased 32GB of memory for this server, and I am looking into purchasing another 2 additonal quad core proccessor to take it to four, I know maybe abit OTT but then as they authorised me to get anything I need to make this happen, I may as well get them in while I can. I'm gunna see how it handles for now and then possibly use kit in my sims server, lesson monitor just takes the biscuit.
    Last edited by chrissmall; 3rd November 2009 at 03:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread