+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Windows 2008R2 & Hyper V Problem! in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Windows 2008R2 & Hyper V Problem!

1) I need to set up a new Windows 2008R2 server with the following roles – Active Directory / DNS / DHCP / Hyper V

First attempt I have set this box up as follows……

The server has two Broadcom NIC’s which I set up as a team using the Broadcom software. A new virtual adapter is created called Team 1. (I configured this with a static IP address 10.10.1.1. I unticked the IPv6 box in the NIC properties.)

When I went to promote the machine to a DC – is stated that not all NICS had static IP address assigned. (I don’t understand this as AD must be looking at the actual NIC’s rather than the Virtual NIC - anyone else seen this???).

Hyper V also used this Team then as the NIC for its Virual Network Card. (So the Host OS and Hyper V Virtual adapter ended up using the same NIC called “Team 1”).

At his point DHCP would server would not work – the event viewer shows the folloing message "The DHCP service is not servicing any DHCPv4 clients because none of the active network interfaces have statically configured IPv4 addresses, or there are no active interfaces."

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one having this problem – as this technet article explains the situation better than I have above!

DHCP server not servicing requests

Anyway, i ended up with a box where DHCP wouldn't allocate clients nor would DNS start automatically.

2) I'm going to reinstall the OS I’m hoping you can advise me in what the best solution is on a way forward here?

a) Should I set up the Host OS using a single NIC and leaving the second NIC for Hyper V?

3) If this is the case, should I statically assign the first NIC with a fixed IP address and disable the second NIC when I set up AD?

Also – should I always untick IPv6 in the NIC properties if I only want to use IPv4 currently?

4) Can I then install Hyper-V and assign the second NIC in the server for virtualization? What IP address do I need to set there? As if I set the default gateway on the second NIC used for Virtualization to the same as the first NIC (used by the Host OS) it throws up an error message!

Hope that all makes sense - and someone can stop me from having a major sweat!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madman070578 View Post
    4) Can I then install Hyper-V and assign the second NIC in the server for virtualization? What IP address do I need to set there? As if I set the default gateway on the second NIC used for Virtualization to the same as the first NIC (used by the Host OS) it throws up an error message!
    Firstly thanks for posting this question. I doubt I'm gonna be much help but I am about to do the exact same thing next week so hopefully you'll get some interesting replys.

As for this question (4) AFAIK you should only set the default gateway on one NIC. I think it causes routing problems if you try to set multiple default gateways, this field should be left blank on the second NIC.

Also, I think it was Plexar, in another thread it was mentioned there there can be DNS problems with DC having multiple NICs. Haven't yet looked into what they are yet though...

Thank Post
    I would setup the system first (without hyper-v) using 1 of the NICs (disable the other).

Configure this with a static IP.

Once you have the DNS / DHCP setup on this NIC, enable the other.

Install hyper-v and use the second NIC for this.

Its never a bad idea to disable IP6 if its not being used.

Thank Post
    We have been installing at least 1 x 4 Port NIC for use by the HyperV Guests some have 2 x 4 Ports in them.
    This allows us to allocate a dedicated NIC to the Guests that need it and so far everything has been pretty easy.
    Sharing a NIC is fine for a lot of VM stuff but somewhere down the line you will wish you had another!
    In one setup we have 1 x database server and 2 x Management/Indexing servers these were all connected to a common NIC. The users complained bitterly of performance issues.
    Moved the database server to a dedicated NIC and patched it to the core switch and Va va voom!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I would setup the system first (without hyper-v) using 1 of the NICs (disable the other).

Configure this with a static IP.

Once you have the DNS / DHCP setup on this NIC, enable the other.

Install hyper-v and use the second NIC for this.

Its never a bad idea to disable IP6 if its not being used.
    Should I assign a static IP to the second NIC when i enable it for Hyper V?

I'll be assigning the same default gateway for the second NIC as the first, will this cause any problems?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the second NIC is purely being used to connect a virtual switch in Hyper-V to your physical switch, ie a connection for virtual machines to use only, then no you don't need to assign I static IP and I can't think of a reason to. All managment traffic should be going over your first nic with a static IP.

AFAIK Windows complains if you have more than one default route, bless. It's not really needed on the second NIC, I'd leave it blank unless it's automatically entered by DHCP.

One thing I did find is that it's recommended to untick the box 'register with DNS' under the advanced IP4 properties on the second NIC. Especially if the server is also a DC. Stops problems with multihomed DC's. Again pretty much makes sure that all non VM traffic uses the static IP NIC

Or atleast that's how it's set up here and everything is working AOK (touch wood).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If the second NIC is purely being used to connect a virtual switch in Hyper-V to your physical switch, ie a connection for virtual machines to use only, then no you don't need to assign I static IP and I can't think of a reason to. All managment traffic should be going over your first nic with a static IP.

AFAIK Windows complains if you have more than one default route, bless. It's not really needed on the second NIC, I'd leave it blank unless it's automatically entered by DHCP.

One thing I did find is that it's recommended to untick the box 'register with DNS' under the advanced IP4 properties on the second NIC. Especially if the server is also a DC. Stops problems with multihomed DC's. Again pretty much makes sure that all non VM traffic uses the static IP NIC

Or atleast that's how it's set up here and everything is working AOK (touch wood).
    This is the situation at present.

Server 2008 R2 running as a DC. It was set up with a static IP address on one NIC, with another disabled and everything run fine.

I enabled the second NIC, (it isn't connected to the network) and installed Hyper V.

DNS then throws a wobbly about it having a 169.254.*.* IP address.

At the moment Microsoft Virtual Switch Protocol is disabled.

I have unticked the 'register with DNS'.

Thank Post
    We have a simular setup. A server 2008 (non R2) DC. While I was getting the other R2 hosts ready i installed Hyper-V onto the DC. Everything seems ok with 4 NICs 2 for OS and 2 for VM.

The problem that we are having is it is complaining all the time about:

Source: NetBT
    A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

I found this solution but dont fully understand it!

Issue #2
    ======
    Problem Description
    -------------------------

Log Name: System
    Source: NetBT
    Date: 7/10/2008 4:21:37 PM
    Event ID: 4319
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Corp.marshallgis.com
    Description:
    A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of
    the computer that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a
    command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

Resolutions
    ---------------
    If you dedicate one NIC for virtual machine to use, disable all
    protocols/management apps. on the dedicated NIC and just have virtual
    enabled on the NIC eliminate the issue.

Good luck with your setup

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread