+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008 R2 - Don't rush! in Technical; So, it seems Microsoft don't actually test things like *using* a server OS before they release it. The major non ...
    Thank Post

2008 R2 - Don't rush!

So, it seems Microsoft don't actually test things like *using* a server OS before they release it.

The major non MS issue - backup Exec is not compatible, this may be a hotfix for 12.5 or even wait until the next release!

The MS things:

No WSUS, hooray! Put an entry in the list of available roles for something that doesn't yet exist! No WSUS 3.0 SP2 yet, so no WSUS for 2008 R2.

Errors and warnings galore!

I've got it down to 1 error and 5 warnings for the boot of a DC now. There is an error for when Windows boots from the Active Directory Web Services (this seems to be new), seems to be a startup order issue (but happened to both DCs).

A couple of SSL certificate warnings, one for the previously mentioned ADWS which is not fixable, seeing as all the other services are quite happy with the generated DC certificate.

And then there are the annoying things.

Why the Shared documents, with all the sample Videos and music crap? This is a SERVER OS!
    You cannot input a name during sysprep - this is not a bug, but a design decision for 2008 R2.
    Firewall not opened for KMS server when you use it.
    Lots of Hyper-V crap bundled by default, although not enabled.
    nslookup a bit broken until you use or disable ipv6
    No Exchange support

There are a few nice things:
    KMS server now counts VMs towards the activation count
    Can't think of anything else specific right now, it's really *very* similar to 2008. The schema updates for R2 and Windows 7 are quite minor over 2008.

2. 8 Thanks to DMcCoy:

AngryTechnician (22nd August 2009), Crispin (22nd August 2009), Gatt (23rd August 2009), Rick2134 (21st September 2009), speckytecky (9th March 2010), Theblacksheep (22nd August 2009), Trapper (25th August 2009), zag (26th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    There are a few nice things:
    KMS server now counts VMs towards the activation count
    Can't think of anything else specific right now, it's really *very* similar to 2008. The schema updates for R2 and Windows 7 are quite minor over 2008.
    Best nice new thing: DirectAccess!

If you use hyper-v: live migration and a clustered file system support (finally).
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 22nd August 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thank Post
    For any heavy IAS users. MD5 has been removed as an authentication method. I know it is not terribly secure, but it is used by my HP Radio Ports so that they can still use 802.1x to login to the network.

You can enable it again by adding the following keys (found on MS forums):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RasMan\PPP\EAP\4

Value name: RolesSupported
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0000000a

Value name: FriendlyName
    Value type: REG_SZ
    Value data: Microsoft: MD5-Challenge

Value name: Path
    Value type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value data: %SystemRoot%\System32\Raschap.dll

Value name: InvokeUsernameDialog
    Value data: 00000001

Value name: InvokePasswordDialog
    Value data: 00000001

On the plus side there is a migration tool to move the settings from 2003 to 2008 for IAS.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 22nd August 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Add "Microsoft:" to a key to make it tidy in UI

Thank Post
    backup Exec is not compatible
    No WSUS, hooray!
    I'll second that hooray!

Reason being I very recently agonised over whether to install 2K8 or just released 2K8 R2 for something. I cautiously settled on 2K8 which is good because the above items are both show stoppers (I couldn't have waited for them to be fixed). Vindicated :: phew ::.

I've been knocking that out by default on 2K8 (too much ipconfig output to wade through otherwise).

No Exchange support
    Exchange is (or should be) a dedicated app server or two .. or three ... Do you really care?

live migration and a clustered file system support (finally).
    Not having hundreds of virtual servers to throw around I don't care that much about live migration, will be useful very infrequently. CSV is definitely good though.

PEO
    Thank Post
    not going to bother here just yet, I may look at it next summer, when I re-asses our needs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft Exchange 2007 does not work, but Exchange 2010 will work on Server 2008 R2.

Server 2008 R2 was done the way it was as technically it is like another server release not an R2, but if it wasn't done as an R2 people would of had to replace their CAL's so with Microsoft doing it this was it has saved people some money rather then them having to go and buy new CALs aswell.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Exchange is (or should be) a dedicated app server or two .. or three ... Do you really care?
    Only in that I am stuck on 2003 as I had no 64 bit VM support. I have been waiting to change to 2007 for years, but I don't want to implement a 2008 server only to change it to 2008 R2 in a short time.

I will skip 2007 and wait for 2010. Anything else that isn't R2 compatible yet (SIMS, Learning Gateway etc) will get moved to new 2003 x64 installs. x64 because it removes some emulation on the Nehalems to speed things up.

And about the Clustered FS, it really NTFS with knobs on not a true clustered FS, which put me off Hyper-V again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    No WSUS, hooray! Put an entry in the list of available roles for something that doesn't yet exist! No WSUS 3.0 SP2 yet, so no WSUS for 2008 R2.
    I'm assuming this means R2 won't be fully compatible with SCCM 2007 R2?

That's gonna be a spanner in the works.

Thank Post
    I will skip 2007 and wait for 2010
    RC released last week.. shouldn't be a long wait... and shouldn't be like 2007 RTM i.e. a bit feature deficient.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I'm assuming this means R2 won't be fully compatible with SCCM 2007 R2?

That's gonna be a spanner in the works.
    Sp2 out soon

Thank Post
    The major non MS issue - backup Exec is not compatible, this may be a hotfix for 12.5 or even wait until the next release!
    Not fussed about the main server software for now, as the server I have it on has no need to be upgraded to R2 (although I'd like to)
    Does the agent work at least?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Not fussed about the main server software for now, as the server I have it on has no need to be upgraded to R2 (although I'd like to)
    Does the agent work at least?
    Media Server = No chance
    Agent = Somewhat broken, although there may be a way around VSS issues

14. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

DrCheese (23rd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Best nice new thing: DirectAccess!
    Heres a question, how many of us have LEA assigned/controlled IP addresses and firewall setups? I can foresee a problem with both DirectAccess and IPv6 here.

DirectAccess is a VPN. A very, very clever VPN with a lot of the setup hidden away from the end user, but still a VPN non the less. This is going to require the correct ports opened on the myriad of firewalls between my network and the Internet. Could be a bit of a fight here.

Like whys, if IP's are currently issued in blocks by County who are using IP4 where do we stand with IP6? I guess the answer is to wait for them to get on board with IP6 and roll it out to us in the trenches.

I haven't really looked in to this yet, but doe IP6 have any private ranges like IP4 (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 10.x.x.x - for instance)? I know it shouldn't need it private ranges as there should be enough IP's available for every known device to have a few unique addresses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Heres a question, how many of us have LEA assigned/controlled IP addresses and firewall setups? I can foresee a problem with both DirectAccess and IPv6 here.

DirectAccess is a VPN. A very, very clever VPN with a lot of the setup hidden away from the end user, but still a VPN non the less. This is going to require the correct ports opened on the myriad of firewalls between my network and the Internet. Could be a bit of a fight here.

Like whys, if IP's are currently issued in blocks by County who are using IP4 where do we stand with IP6? I guess the answer is to wait for them to get on board with IP6 and roll it out to us in the trenches.
    No fight nessisary, if IP6 is not avalible then it will just use SSL (https) which is allowed practiclly everywhere and should even be realitivly easy for stone age LEA firewalls to publish a couple of servers from your internal site.
    The DirectAccess Connection Process

It will also attempt to pipe Teredo encapsulated IP6 traffic to a more up to date host if it is not directly IP6 enabled. I know that the providers here are a long way off IP6 as I was hasseling them about it about a year ago when I first heard about the new feature.

I haven't really looked in to this yet, but doe IP6 have any private ranges like IP4 (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 10.x.x.x - for instance)? I know it shouldn't need it private ranges as there should be enough IP's available for every known device to have a few unique addresses.
    By the looks of it there are several layers of IP address space that the computer participates in, one of these is the site local address which is simmilar to the private ip range. They also have global ips and the system will use the lowest level ip to attempt connection first. For example if you are in the internal network and it can connect using the site local address it will use that but otherwise it will use a higher level address to access resources outside the local network.
    https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/id/draft...-issues-00.txt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, this is one of the things I spotted from Friday's session at Reading, which I will have to take back to the RBC to discuss ... and I am sure it is something that will be discussed nationally too, so your RBC might already be looking into it (you could ask them!), but I will let you know when I hear something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast