+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008 R2 - Don't rush! in Technical; We've upgraded to Windows 2008 R2 with relatively little hassle, we've also virtualised most of our servers. The only 2 ...
    Thank Post
    We've upgraded to Windows 2008 R2 with relatively little hassle, we've also virtualised most of our servers. The only 2 problems that we've come across so far is problems with upgrading our DHCP server to 2008 r2, so we've left it as Windows 2003 (virtual, thank goodness for snapshots) and an initial problem with our Sophos Web Security & Control box, however that was a replication issue which has now been sorted.

-Ken

Thank Post
    Mine has been backing up the same setup with no issues.
    I'm sure it works for most folk, the trouble with BE is that sometimes it just doesn't (this is a fresh/clean/SP2 + fully patched OS install).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Backup Exec 12.5 is unlikely to ever support R2, which is pretty crummy.
    Backup Exec 12.5 on Server 2008 R2 RTM x64 errors | Symantec Connect
    Thanks for that, but it is damn annoying....
    We are just about to buy fresh BE lic's tomorrow and I was hoping this thread would lead to better news. Anyone heard of a eta of BE 2010?

Thank Post

5. 3 Thanks to DMcCoy:

Crispin (26th August 2009), PiqueABoo (25th August 2009), ZeroHour (26th August 2009)

Thank Post

RE: 2008 R2 Don't rush!

Running 2008 R2 on a new DC and a few other servers, all going well so far but....

I upgraded my Windows Deployment Services server to R2 and at the time, remember reading something about it breaking Sysprep's ability to join XP machines to the domain , and lo and behold, Sysprep can no longer join an XP machine to the domain after being imaged using WDS! Haven't looked into it yet, but I suppose it's my own fault for not doing my research beforehand and leaping into R2.

Only other issue I have, which may or may not be R2 related is that in demoting our old 2000 DC to member server, and promoting the new 2008 R2 to be a DC (FSMO/DNS/DHCP etc.), something has become broken with my DNS Alias (CName) records in that I cannot browse to them anymore. I can ping them, and I can browse/map drives to the server shares themselves, but if I try to browse or map a drive to an alias, it fails.

Oh, and there is something about changes to authentication in R2 which has broken the ability to backup using Windows Server Backup directly to a NAS with ext2 drives.

Other than that, all good.......

7. Thanks to earlyriser from:

CaptainJack (9th March 2010)

Thank Post

RE: WDS, XP & Sysprep

I upgraded my Windows Deployment Services server to R2 and at the time, remember reading something about it breaking Sysprep's ability to join XP machines to the domain , and lo and behold, Sysprep can no longer join an XP machine to the domain after being imaged using WDS! Haven't looked into it yet, but I suppose it's my own fault for not doing my research beforehand and leaping into R2.

Any word on a fix for this? We are beginning to make the move to 2k8 R2 and we will be using some XP boxes on this network for a while yet (mainly student computers, the bulk of our XP deployment) and I don't like surprises. At the least, thanks for this heads up!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123