+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, File Server Resource Manager in Technical; I am hoping to implement quotas for students and have set up File Server Resource Manager and had a test ...
    Thank Post

Question File Server Resource Manager

I am hoping to implement quotas for students and have set up File Server Resource Manager and had a test run on a small group. I have a couple of issues and have raised them on the TechNet forums but have had no joy/replies. I have created a test quota based on an existing template and applied it to the group and it works OK when adding files (It tots up the quota fine). The problem comes when the files are deleted to create space, it doesn't seem to apply the full amount of space the deleted file used. I had one of the users up to 99% on a 10Mb template and removed a 5Mb file but it only dropped a fraction of this and certainly not the full amount - it showed 99% still. Even when I removed all the users files it was still showing as only 85% free.

We run a Distributed File System on the network and I was wondering if this was the issue but there doesn't seem to be anything on TechNet to say it shouldn't so I am a bit mystified and would like to get this working by Monday when school opens. Honestly I haven't left it to the last minute we have just been so busy I just got round to it this week. Any tips or similar experiences would ease my mind a bit!!

Thank Post
    One thing to check. The recycle bin for redirect folders, is in the redirected folder. So if you are sending to the bin, the used space will remain exactly the same

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

JBoyd (3rd September 2014)

Thank Post
    Hmm, I will take a look at this but I can see the logic. I know you can exclude file types from the quota, do you know if you could exclude folders? Do you use FSRM?

Thank Post
    What does a file count on the folder with the quota tell you it is using? FSRM will stop updating for some reasons I have not determined, and have rebuilt servers to remove the issue. You can remove and reapply the quotas or reboot the server to fix it for a while.

If however the manual count vs the FSRM used is the same, then you can stop it using the recycle bin for network folders in the explorer gpo. Not an idea solution, but you will also notice than files go to recycle bin from redirected unc, but not from drive letter. Nothing like MS for consistency!

Thank Post
    I just love software that doesn't work I can then spend so much time fixing it!!!!! I am not sure this is worth the effort we have just recently given users access to their Recycle bin and I think it would maybe a retrograde step to remove it again. We do have a program that scans drives for file space we run periodically and just disable their accounts till they come to see us. Thanks anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread