+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Unused Print Drivers in Technical; Anybody know a working script to remove unused print drivers from 08r2 print servers? As most of you know the ...
    Thank Post

Unused Print Drivers

Anybody know a working script to remove unused print drivers from 08r2 print servers? As most of you know the OS is less than compliant when attempting to remove ANY print drivers. Even when manually selecting a known driver not in use 08r2 says otherwise and denies the request to delete.

I have even stopped all services associated with printing including, spooler, papercut print provider, citrix ups, and so on. The server still acts as if the drivers are in use.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Thank Post
    if there is a printer installed which uses the driver it will prevent it being removed i dont think stopping services is going to help. as the driver is still marked as being required.
    you can use the "rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry" in a batch file with the required switches for removing drivers.
    however depending on how many servers/drivers you might find it easier to just connect to each server and remove the drivers from the printmanagement.msc snap in.
    (does require a printer to be shared from that server/ enable client connections to the printer spooler GPO to be enabled)

Thank Post
    I ended up doing this manually through the driver managment form. I essentially selected all the driver and did a remove driver and package. It only deleted the drivers not in use, but as a nasty side effect also deleted the 86x share drivers from ALL devices (thank god I tested it on a cloned VM). So when doing this on the production servers I simply selected all the 64x driver and followed the same steps. This will work for now, But I would really like to make this a scheduled task for all server from a script...

Thanks for you input

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread