+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DNS - Internal Server, external domain name in Technical; Curious if anyone could point me in the direction to go with this. I think I know but could just ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DNS - Internal Server, external domain name

Curious if anyone could point me in the direction to go with this. I think I know but could just do with a bit of advice to confirm it.

We have an internal server which is hosting moodle and can be accessed using moodle.school.cumbria.sch.uk and that works fine, however because it's running through a web gateway, all traffic comes from a single IP and to be fair, it doesn't need to travel out across the RBC network to come back in to our network.

Our school.cumbria.sch.uk is all managed by County/RBC and our internal domain is school.local. I would assume, that in order to not cause any other issues with DNS resolution for our external domain that I create a new Primary DNS zone of moodle.school.cumbria.sch.uk with a single A record which either has the IP of the server or CNAME's off to the internal domain name. Is that right or is there an easier/better way of doing it?

I could of course just leave it as it is, but would rather stop the extra hops if I can.
    Last edited by Cache; 22nd July 2014 at 05:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Assuming the same DNS servers will be used for lookups to both your internal domain and the moodle zone, then Yes I'd go with a new DNS Zone with the relevant A records.

I'd also look at adding the moodle zone to my internal suffix list. It also sounds as if you'd need to do something with your routing to stop the traffic going via your gateway.

3. Thanks to Firefox from:

Cache (23rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Assuming the same DNS servers will be used for lookups to both your internal domain and the moodle zone, then Yes I'd go with a new DNS Zone with the relevant A records.

I'd also look at adding the moodle zone to my internal suffix list. It also sounds as if you'd need to do something with your routing to stop the traffic going via your gateway.
    Agreed - we did this with our pile of... Erm WebAnyWhere Moodle server. You could add a proxy exception too

5. Thanks to truebluesteve from:

Cache (23rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Can you explain a bit more of what you mean by this?

I can understand why it's going out to the gateway and back again at the moment, simply because the external dns record points to the public IP, hence the only idea I could come up with was to create a new DNS zone of some sort to point to the internal IP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Can you explain a bit more of what you mean by this?

I can understand why it's going out to the gateway and back again at the moment, simply because the external dns record points to the public IP, hence the only idea I could come up with was to create a new DNS zone of some sort to point to the internal IP.
    If you create an internal zone for moodle, you'd likely as mentioned above need to bypass the proxy to stop it going outside first, by adding the moodle suffix to your list, you'll help DNS with lookups to this zone.

8. Thanks to Firefox from:

Cache (24th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread