+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, User Documents Migration Nightmare in Technical; Hi All, I am soon going to move all our user documents from server 2003 to a new server running ...
    Thank Post

User Documents Migration Nightmare

Hi All,

I am soon going to move all our user documents from server 2003 to a new server running server 2008r2.

So standard way to do this Robo copy the lot and copy the registry key from one server to the other.

I can't do this because I need to make a few changes to the files in which everything has been stored. Basically my predecessor (R.I.P) had built upon an already messy system and files are saved all over the place within the same hard drive. I want to copy the lot accross and make a few changes like put student documents and profiles into intake years to make it easier to get rid when they leave and to save space.

I think what I am going to have to do is copy (robocopy so it saves permissions) the folders into the new places manually, edit active directory to reflect the new location and possible forget the idea of them being set up as shared folders, because I really don't want to have to manually share each folder (don't know any way of sharing multiple folders at the same time?) luckily we only have 220 users if this is the only way.

I am a one man band here so don't have the opportunity to bounce ideas and in this case I am stuck in a bit of a rut. Any thoughts?

P.S. Anyone got a decent AD editing tool something with a nice GUI or something.

Thank Post
    will adsi-edit do what you want in terms of AD modification? ADSI Edit

Have you looked into the ADMT tool? ADMT Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains

3. Thanks to Oaktech from:

bencole (22nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are we assuming that the current home folders have the same name as the username?

I'd copy them into their relevant intake folders, eg structure: Pupil Home\2014 Intake\jbloggs

Then go to pupil home, share, giving pupils traverse folder permissions, BUT ON THAT FOLDER ONLY.
    Then give permissions on intake folders to traverse, but again, only on that folder.

Then in AD select all kids in a year, right click, properties and in home drive to the ol' \\SERVERNAME\Pupil Home\2014 Intake\%username%
    It should set the permissions on the folders then.

THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF FOLDERS ARE NAMED SAME AS USERNAMES!!!

:-)

5. Thanks to Joanne from:

bencole (22nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    that sounds like a plan, all the folders will be shared without having to do them individually. I might in AD just set all the students to the actual folder location then only share the intake folders for staff only. I will have to create some intake security groups so I can in group policy distinguish the folder redirection locations. I think what I said makes sense, my office is very warm and i'm tired....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah that makes perfect sense. Don't worry. I bet the kids don't even need that work anyways

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread