+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Deploy Proxy Settings in Technical; Hello, I have just set up a new ou in active directory and I want those users to use a ...
    Thank Post

Deploy Proxy Settings

Hello, I have just set up a new ou in active directory and I want those users to use a different proxy setting from the other accounts, only problem is Microsoft in their wisdom have taken the settings for this out of the gpo, any help as to how to deploy now. the workstations are windows 7 pro running ie 11

many thanks

Thank Post
    Settings are now done using Group Policy Preferences. Edit your GPO and go to User Config --> Preferences --> Control Panel Settings.

Right click on Internet Settings and choose New --> Internet Explorer 10 (these should work with 11 for the most part. Use Windows 8 or Server 2012 to get full support)

Set your settings as you would for normal IE settings. You use the F5 key (I think) to make the settings active and underline them in green

Thank Post
    Only seams to go up to ie 8 is that down to updates?

Thank Post
    You need to update the policy definitions on the server, the ADMX and ADML template files.

You should be able to copy the inetres.admx and inetres.adml files from a machine with IE10 installed. They are stored in c:\windows\PolicyDefinitions

Copy them to each of your domain controllers into the same location (unless you have a central store in your SYSVOL share??)

If you need help, send a PM to @jonnykewell1 who did it recently

5. Thanks to themightymrp from:

jonnykewell1 (8th September 2014)

Thank Post

Red face

You'll Also need a Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 machine to manage these policy settings.

Adding the templates makes no difference if you don't have one of these to manage the settings from.

EDIT: Sorry I see this was already said further up
    Last edited by Firefox; 18th July 2014 at 12:32 PM.

7. Thanks to Firefox from:

bencole (5th August 2014)

Thank Post
    You don't need a Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 machine to manage these settings, it can be done in Server 2008/R2 with a little tweaking. The topic has been covered massively since Windows 8 was released - there are plenty of informative threads on this subject.

Thank Post
    We gave up on this setting as it seemed unreliably, we now just deploy proxy via a regeit done at gpo level.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Here you go

Just to clarify, this'll work on IE8, 9, 10 and 11 on Windows XP (with GPP update installed) or later using 2008 Server or later.

Thank Post
    That's great for proxy settings.....but why would you want to split the management of IE policies away from each other? if you plan on managing IE 11 anyway, why create a separate reg entry to manage just the proxy part? surely you're just creating more overhead, and hoping anyone new coming in is going to know you've added this as a separate entry when they wonder why their IE 11 proxy settings aren't applying correctly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    That's great for proxy settings.....but why would you want to split the management of IE policies away from each other? if you plan on managing IE 11 anyway, why create a separate reg entry to manage just the proxy part? surely you're just creating more overhead, and hoping anyone new coming in is going to know you've added this as a separate entry when they wonder why their IE 11 proxy settings aren't applying correctly.
    This is the only reliable/working solution. Unfortunately Microsoft haven't got all aspects of GPP working perfectly. I've used this solution for quite some time and the overhead is not noticeable on wired or wireless devices. Reg entries are essentially just text, which is no different from real GPOs which essentially do the same/similar thing each time a user logs on.

As to how you deploy/configure it, that's entirely up to you - it's your Active Directory You can either configure these settings as part of a larger GPO or a separate GPO - makes no difference at all.

Thank Post
    WPAD.dat

Web Server
    DHCP

Done

Ive tried registry edits, GPO edits but loving this way.

Really easy if staff want to take laptops home as you don't need scripts to remove it.
    Last edited by DCUK6; 18th July 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK6 View Post
    WPAD.dat
    Or a .pac file, that's an alternative and one many Network Managers use with the likes of iPad and Android. Again this is just text, so the overhead is minimal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This is the only reliable/working solution. Unfortunately Microsoft haven't got all aspects of GPP working perfectly. I've used this solution for quite some time and the overhead is not noticeable on wired or wireless devices. Reg entries are essentially just text, which is no different from real GPOs which essentially do the same/similar thing each time a user logs on.

As to how you deploy/configure it, that's entirely up to you - it's your Active Directory You can either configure these settings as part of a larger GPO or a separate GPO - makes no difference at all.
    We run separate settings for IE 8 - 11 all with GPP and they all seem to work fine. As soon as we worked out the green or red unlined options we've never looked back. I understand how registry entries work. My point was, if you set a reg entry to control the proxy settings, then you need the GPP gui for IE11...why would you not add the proxy settings here? what advantage to splitting them up. Also if I was unaware of the individual reg entry, and I set the proxy in the IE 11 GPP, then is there not a chance my IE 11 proxy setting won't apply, and I won't obviously know why?

Thank Post
    GPP GUI or LAN Settings was very unreliable last I looked at it. Some Network Managers have had better luck than others. At the time the GPP regedit was the only consistent/reliable solution and I've used it on many networks without any issues since.

Microsoft may have addressed the issue, but still, there's a lot of confusion as the GPP GUI doesn't work with IE11 for example without some tweaking - it's bad on their part really.

I've read some articles about tweaking the supported version up to IE99, but it seems clear that Microsoft do want to move away from the more traditional proxy setup - either something transparent or indeed no proxy at all, but that's for another discussion

17. Thanks to Michael from:

Firefox (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    GPP GUI or LAN Settings was very unreliable last I looked at it. Some Network Managers have had better luck than others. At the time the GPP regedit was the only consistent/reliable solution and I've used it on many networks without any issues since.

Microsoft may have addressed the issue, but still, there's a lot of confusion as the GPP GUI doesn't work with IE11 for example without some tweaking - it's bad on their part really.

I've read some articles about tweaking the supported version up to IE99, but it seems clear that Microsoft do want to move away from the more traditional proxy setup - either something transparent or indeed no proxy at all, but that's for another discussion
    Thanks, sorry if it sounded like I was anti what you were saying....I'm just interested in other peoples approaches and their reasoning.

The IE GPP were the bane of our lives...took a lot of figuring out, and by far the worst implementation of a policy setting Microsoft have come up with. I get how they want flexibility between versions, but to suddenly change how it all worked without much information was just mad. It's even worse if the gui setting conflicts with an IE setting that's under Computer Configuration - User configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer

19. Thanks to Firefox from:

Michael (18th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast