+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Server Shares Freezing - cannot save or close work in Technical; Ok been reading this thread with interest, what sticks in my mind is the fact you can tie it down ...
    Thank Post
    Ok been reading this thread with interest, what sticks in my mind is the fact you can tie it down to a Monday at 1.20, that doesn't say traffic/hardware failure to me. Now I am going back a long long time now, I used to have the netgear DG834 home modem/router. There was a large bug within it where by once a week at a random time it would request a NTP time update from the internet. At the time I was using OpenDNS which for some reason block access to the netgear NTP server, once a week at the same time our internet would drop out and re-connect.

Of course this isn't the issue here but I would be interesting to see the following info

• Switch make and model
    • In event viewer do you have any tasks scheduled for that time, some SIMS plugins that request data look in at that time
    • Do you have any "odd" devices on your network, I have seen all sorts from boiler management systems, door entry systems and the like.

Have you also get a spare pc you could use, Place it on the network. Join the domain, create a share, and then map it to a pc in the school. When your shares from the main servers die, see if your spare pc's share is still open. If it is, you could basically pin point it to the server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,703 Posts
    The server has a UPS
    I have done the switch it off for 5 mins bit and when I replaced the USB cable to the backup I did an internal inspection and it was clean.

As I said, doesnt always happen at 1.20, in fact I think it may happen earlier as it did on Tuesday and it is only when the class logs on it becomes apparent. I knew earlier on Tuesday as a teacher happened to be doing something.
    The switches, of which they are 4, are DLinks but I can't say the model offhand.
    No weird events in event viewer and no SIMS or other MIS on my server (we have two networks).
    No odd devices either - they are all on the admin network.
    I like the idea of the share creation - will have a go at that - thanks

Thank Post
    Just a random thought, try powering the switch connecting the server into the ups too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The server has a UPS
    I have done the switch it off for 5 mins bit and when I replaced the USB cable to the backup I did an internal inspection and it was clean.

As I said, doesnt always happen at 1.20, in fact I think it may happen earlier as it did on Tuesday and it is only when the class logs on it becomes apparent. I knew earlier on Tuesday as a teacher happened to be doing something.
    The switches, of which they are 4, are DLinks but I can't say the model offhand.
    No weird events in event viewer and no SIMS or other MIS on my server (we have two networks).
    No odd devices either - they are all on the admin network.
    I like the idea of the share creation - will have a go at that - thanks
    Apologies I must of mis-read what you wrote regarding UPSes. If it's an APC UPS, open the Powerchute software and check for activity. If all appears normal, try doing a manual self test whilst physically in front of the server (not remotely), to see if the UPS is performing correctly.

If you suspect something is wrong, then I'd advise you temporarily shutdown the server and run it without a UPS. You can then run other tests against the UPS using a basic workstation for example.

Thank Post
    So, do you think it might be the UPS then? How so?

Thank Post
    Are there any firmware updates for your switches, that may be a problem. The other thing I can think of is use Wireshark to see if there is anything blitzing the server. Other than that, get your consultant in and gaffer tape him to the chair until they fix it. Drawing tacks may speed up the process in this case ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    So, do you think it might be the UPS then? How so?
    Only speculation - but if the server logs look OK, it could be the UPS (when self testing) not working 100% correctly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Are there any firmware updates for your switches, that may be a problem. The other thing I can think of is use Wireshark to see if there is anything blitzing the server. Other than that, get your consultant in and gaffer tape him to the chair until they fix it. Drawing tacks may speed up the process in this case ;-)
    He's great actually - basically because I am on my own and part-time the schools pay per year for phone support from this company and a techie for 2 hours a month. I have known him 12 years and he has taught me just about everything that I know - but he can only be with me when he is scheduled to be and this is such a pig of a fault that everyone is struggling. I don't know about firmware on the switches - will look into that

Thank Post
    He's great actually - basically because I am on my own and part-time the schools pay per year for phone support from this company and a techie for 2 hours a month. I have known him 12 years and he has taught me just about everything that I know - but he can only be with me when he is scheduled to be and this is such a pig of a fault that everyone is struggling. I don't know about firmware on the switches - will look into that
    Your position can be very frustrating, I have been there myself a few years ago. I'm not sure you need the highest level Microsoft certified bod in but just another pair of eyes and hands can make the world of difference. If staff are making enough noise, and say its causing them enough problems I am sure you can approach the business manager/head and request external support. Your issue could be warning signs of an imminent failure and the longer it is left the bigger the issues may be in the future. I suspect the DLINK switches may not be helping your cause but without the correct equipment or tools to do some more in depth tests you could end up going around in circles. Sadly doesn't look as if you are local else I would have offered to come over with some kit and spare switch and have a look, maybe there is someone local on here you may be able to give you a quick hand with it.

Another little thought that just came to mind, How many NIC's does your server have? If you have more than one are they both being used?

10. Thanks to TheRobins from:

witch (14th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Only one NIC I'm afraid
    What worries me is that unless we can actually catch the fault happening it is really difficult to know quite what to do next. I will try wireshark although I have always found it hard to interpret and I will look at the UPS and switch updates.
    If we got someone in it will cost a lot and there is no guarantee that they will find anything .

Thank Post
    This is a real puzzle! I agree it's hard to diagnose when you are only there a few hours at a time.
    It could be an IP address conflict with a device that has a static IP addr set, but not excluded in the DHCP scope.
    Or, has someone put a small hub on the network in an office somewhere and not told you?

I have just bought some new switches so I could lend you the old ones which I know are working 100%. They're not smart or managed but at least you could rule them out if if doesn't fix the problem. I know how hard it is to manage on a non existent budget! PM me if you want to arrange something...

13. 2 Thanks to hallb15:

TheRobins (14th June 2014), witch (14th June 2014)

Thank Post
    No hubs on my network. There are a couple of small switches in the school but if they were a problem then surely it would only affect the computers attached to them?

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem to this years ago - caused by an electric kettle causing a surge - can you get any type of protection for the switches on even a temporary basis?

Thank Post
    No hubs on my network. There are a couple of small switches in the school but if they were a problem then surely it would only affect the computers attached to them?
    Not necessarily. Cheap consumer grade hubs and switches can spread bad packets like wildfire when they are overloaded or over heating. I once found a hub in the caretakers office at a school I used to work at that the CCTV company had kindly installed, inside a locked metal cupboard, so the caretaker could monitor the CCTV on his desktop computer. Whenever he inspected any of the recorded CCTV images, the whole school lost connectivity intermittently. Took ages to track that one down!

Thank Post
    Ah
    Didn't know that
    Another thing to look at - how? No idea....

Yay!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast