+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Server Shares Freezing - cannot save or close work in Technical; Hmmm I will investigate But I have ESET at my other school with pretty much the same server, and have ...
  1. #16

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Hmmm I will investigate
    But I have ESET at my other school with pretty much the same server, and have seen no issues of any sort.

    I just don't know where to start really.
    The disk controller question strikes a bit of a chord somehow - don't know why - how would I investigate that?

  2. #17
    markwilfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    165
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    I'm assuming your drives are raided in some form? Might be worth monitoring disk activity, however if the server is locking up you'd expect to see this shoot right down. I'm pretty sure we had errors in one of the windows logs when our was failing. Might be worth checking the disks out too with the manufacturers utilities to see if any are going south. To be honest this problem plagued us for a few months as it was difficult to troubleshoot.

  3. #18
    markwilfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    165
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Just a thought is shadow copy running at 1.20?

  4. #19

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Yes, it is raided. No errors in windows logs.
    We did have an error reported that related to one of the backup drives - the backup eventually failed but replacing the drive seemed to sort that out although we did still get the odd error report. Since we replaced the internal USB that has gone away though.
    I will look at the manufacturers utilities but I think the external guy did that

  5. #20

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,238
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    The utils you want are the hp acu (array configuration utility) and the hp integrated log viewer which will show up way more info than event viewer as they are designed to isolate the OS from the issues. As to eset, a single infected or broken machine spewing packets could trip it. A wireshark of the network to check for a busted Nic spewing rubbish packets or a virus doing the same could easily kill it like that.

  6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    witch (12th June 2014)

  7. #21

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    No shadow copy

  8. #22

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The utils you want are the hp acu (array configuration utility) and the hp integrated log viewer which will show up way more info than event viewer as they are designed to isolate the OS from the issues. As to eset, a single infected or broken machine spewing packets could trip it. A wireshark of the network to check for a busted Nic spewing rubbish packets or a virus doing the same could easily kill it like that.
    hp acu and hp integrated log viewer not showing any errors, sadly. Have swapped out a switch - the one with the server connection - so will just have to wait now and see if the error recurs to eliminate that switch

  9. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I know it's obvious but i'll ask just in case. Power save setting on the NIC along with speed and duplex hard set rather than auto?

  10. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I think you need to take a long hard look at how this server is set up / what it's doing.

    Is it the only server you've got; in which case is it doing AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO *plus* being a file, print & backup server? Is it hosting VMs?

    Can you build another server to move some of the roles / move the file share to?

    What's the network infastructure like - are you getting massive bandwidth useage which is killing the switches?

    How many users are trying to access the server at the same time when it "freezes"?

    If, when the server has "frozen" you can log into the console and check task manager etc. - if that all looks ok then the chances are the server *itself* isn't the issue. If while logged in you can get to other network resources (internet etc.) then the nic is at least passing traffic. If however any of these fail, you have an idea where to start...

    I suspect it's a nic driver / firmware issue (as others have said) - have you got any other nics you can put in the server and use instead of the current one?

    ... as a side note; I'm suprised your external consultant hasn't suggested (or done) some of the above...

  11. #25

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I know it's obvious but i'll ask just in case. Power save setting on the NIC along with speed and duplex hard set rather than auto?

    I don't know. Nothing has been changed. I will check

  12. #26

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    I think you need to take a long hard look at how this server is set up / what it's doing.

    Is it the only server you've got; in which case is it doing AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO *plus* being a file, print & backup server? Is it hosting VMs?...
    It is the only server. Yes it is doing AD DNS DHCP GPO, file, print and backup. No VMs

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    Can you build another server to move some of the roles / move the file share to?...
    I have no other servers

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    What's the network infastructure like - are you getting massive bandwidth useage which is killing the switches?
    Not that I can see - what would you use to check

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    How many users are trying to access the server at the same time when it "freezes"?
    It was happening when a class of 32 logged on or off but it has happened randomly a few times as well

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    If, when the server has "frozen" you can log into the console and check task manager etc. - if that all looks ok then the chances are the server *itself* isn't the issue. If while logged in you can get to other network resources (internet etc.) then the nic is at least passing traffic. If however any of these fail, you have an idea where to start...
    I can access task manager and log on and off when the issue occurs

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    I suspect it's a nic driver / firmware issue (as others have said) - have you got any other nics you can put in the server and use instead of the current one?
    No, I haven't. The NIC drivers have been updated and the server does seem to run better but that hasn't changed the issue, sadly

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    .. as a side note; I'm suprised your external consultant hasn't suggested (or done) some of the above...
    He did

  13. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    608
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuclark View Post
    I suspect it's a nic driver / firmware issue (as others have said) - have you got any other nics you can put in the server and use instead of the current one?
    No, I haven't. The NIC drivers have been updated and the server does seem to run better but that hasn't changed the issue, sadly

    if it appears to run better with newer drivers it could be a NIC that is going wonky and the newer driver is coping with the flakeyness better
    for the sake of trouble shooting i would be purchasing another NIC (Intel would be a good bet) and running with that if your server hasnt got a second NIC.

    If you have any managed switches you can look at the data counters for each port to see if you are getting excessive traffic over one port or several, and i wouldnt rule out an iffy switch possibly.
    Are the clients able to ping the server when they are not able to right/read from the network share?

    thinking a little bit outside the server you havent got some child who is looping a network point somewhere in the building which isnt close the server so it takes a little while for the loopback to be felt across the network.

  14. #28

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,185
    Thank Post
    1,453
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    No managed switches, sadly.
    I dont think I said that when it happened the children trying to log on couldnt - it got stuck on "user profile" I think.
    I've no idea if clients can ping the server when the "freeze" happens. Problem is, I am not here often when it happens.
    I will try and sort this out.

    No loopback - I've checked every one!

  15. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    That's the trouble with short weekly etc visits, been there done that. It's going to be mighty tough to diagnose without being able to do some tests with it "frozen". Verrrry tricky one, good luck with it

  16. #30

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,265
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    The one thing that has changed recently is temperatures in the UK. We're now pretty much in summer season and servers without proper ventilation can offer random symptoms.

    Ideally the server should be connected to a UPS, however in these circumstances, try completely shutting down the server and removing the power lead for 5 minutes. Whilst it's off, give it an inspection internally and check it's clean. Now switch it back on and see how it goes.

    From what you're saying it doesn't sound like a switch issue. Normally a dying switch will either bomb out completely and display red (in the context of HP's), or you'll find that ports randomly start dying for no reason.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd February 2012, 12:10 PM
  2. cannot view/access server shares
    By techie211 in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th January 2011, 05:56 PM
  3. Cannot access server shares via IP or UNC path
    By aslamshaikh04 in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th September 2009, 09:30 PM
  4. Got a folder I cannot delete or take ownership of
    By sidewinder in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th March 2007, 02:49 PM
  5. Cannot save in Office without modify permissions
    By sidewinder in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st December 2006, 04:32 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •