+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Network Time in Technical; We have started to experience issues with time on our network. The way I had it setup was for our ...

Thank Post

Network Time

We have started to experience issues with time on our network. The way I had it setup was for our 3 DC's to talk to an internet based NTP server and then automatically with no interferance the other servers and desktop PC's woulod all get there time from the DC's. The first question is, is this true?

I have also been told that hyper-v can sync time to all of the virtual machines and then all you need to do is setup the host servers to access the internet NTP servers.

I am not sure of the best route and if I need to tell all of the desktops on the network where to get there time from? Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the host servers are members of the domain, then you don't want to do this (it causes issues). Ideally you should only have one DC pointing to the internet NTP, and then this filtering through to all other machines.

Thank Post
    You need to have just the 1 server pointing to the correct time and as your NTP server. I had a simular problem, i had a script that ran at logon to make sure that the clients were updated. after about of week of this i noticed the system had righted itself and i removed the script. Everything seems to be ok now.

Just to a
    net time /set

Nick

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Setup your Domain Controller that holds the PDC emulator role with the correct external NTP settings, the rest of the machines and servers will look there for time

If running VMWare ESXi hosts point them to the PDC as well. Sometimes even if you tell VM's not to look at the host for time they may still get the time from the hosts :-?. I'm not sure about HyperV

You will need to make sure that your PDC Emulator can get through the firewall ( UDP port 123 ) to the following hosts

0.uk.pool.ntp.org
    1.uk.pool.ntp.org
    2.uk.pool.ntp.org
    3.uk.pool.ntp.org

I think you need to run something like this command on the PDC Emulator
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:0.uk.pool.ntp.org,1.uk.pool.ntp.org ,2.uk.pool.ntp.org,3.uk.pool.ntp.org
    Last edited by Davit2005; 31st July 2014 at 10:03 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread