+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Folder redirection in Technical; Dont know if anyone can help with this at all, I have set up folder redirection for some of my ...

Thank Post

Folder redirection

Dont know if anyone can help with this at all, I have set up folder redirection for some of my staff members documents folders and it has worked for most of them but not all. I have about 20 users that I moved in active directory from OU's called 'staff' to 'admin staff' I then had to move all their documents from network folders called 'staff' to 'admin staff' then set the redirected documents through group policy, this worked fine for most of them but like I say not all of them. Some users still have nothing in their 'documents' folder when they are logged in. When I go to properties on their documents folder it has a local path e.g. 'C:\USERS\mrsmith\documents' under library location, on the users who are working they have the proper network path e.g. '\\SERVER\Admin Staff\%USERNAME%'. I am not too technical with AD or GP but I thought i would be able to sort this myself, turns out not so! I am not quite sure what has happened but I have checked all the network shares and everyone has the right permissions to access the shares. Oh and all client PC's are windows 7. If anyone can help it would be greatly appriciated.

Thank Post
    have you ran gpupdate /force through the command prompt to make sure the machines have picked up the changes? the user who have no redirect is this the same on any machine ?

Thank Post
    Also check using GPResults to see what actually happened with your redirection policy on the affected machines for the affected users.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, I tried gpupdate but nothing! And yes its the same on all machines

- - - Updated - - -

How do I do a gpresult is that the same as RSOP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNewcombe View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, I tried gpupdate but nothing! And yes its the same on all machines

- - - Updated - - -

How do I do a gpresult is that the same as RSOP?
    GPresult would be a way to see RSOP (Resultant Set Of Policy). Run it from the GP Management Console.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have run a GP Results from GP managment and it does show an error when applying rediredted folders and under policy events this is the error it is coming up with:

'Windows failed to apply the Folder Redirection settings. Folder Redirection settings might have its own log file. Please click on the "More information" link.'

Only I cant find the "more information" link! Does this make sense to anyone?

Thank Post
    I have just checked the settings tab on gp results and it seems like the videos, music and pictures folders are redirecting properly, it even has the right path to the share on the server. However the documents are not even listed. Strange though because the music, pictures and videos folders are set to follow the documents folder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my experience, moving My Documents usually causes an issue with Offline files or the Sync centre.

Try changing giving them a new profile (and call their old folder found in C:\Users\ on the workstation username.old) and see if that sorts the issue out. You may need to wipe their profile registry entry found in HKLM - Software - Microsoft - Windows NT - Current Version - ProfileList (Leave the S-1-5-18,19 and 20 alone).

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses, I have tried what simpsonj suggested but still haven't been able to restore the folder connections. Sorry I haven't replied Ive been having an absolute nightmare here several users have completely lost their documents altogether and I don't have a clue whats going on.

There is a problem with the GPO not applying when I last ran GP results it was coming up with an error on folder redirection and now it does not even process the folder redirection for documents but My Music folders and desktop are both fine. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be really grateful.

Thank Post
    This may not be any help, but when I had redirection problems I did this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread