+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Installing a KMS Host - help please... in Technical; I need to configure our first KMS Host on the network; I have a suitable server running Server 2008 R2, ...
    Thank Post

Question Installing a KMS Host - help please...

I need to configure our first KMS Host on the network; I have a suitable server running Server 2008 R2, for which I need a "KMS Host Key" - where do I get this from, is it something I have to purchase from Microsoft in addition to volume license keys? I have an educational volume license agreement which has both MAK and KMS keys for various products. I only want to use KMS activation for Windows 7/8 clients, Msoft Office etc. I've read loads of documentation about adding keys to a KMS server, but I'm struggling to find anything which describes simply how to get to first base and tell my server that it's a KMS Host.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This video is really good - How to Set Up a KMS Host - Windows Server 2008 R2 Demo | TechNet

The KMS Host Key is the key you see in the VLSC. If you put a Server 2012 R2 key in you will be able to activate these platforms:

• Server 2012 R2
    • Server 2012
    • Server 2008 R2
    • Server 2008
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Visa

Thank Post
    from memory the KMS key needs to be added to the KMS server host using slmgr.vbs /ipk "KMS license key"
    you will need to ad an entry in your DNS for the KMS host server (its _SRV record with _VLMCS as the service)
    key management needs to be enabled in the firewall

if your hosting both office and windows on the same host in the future you will need the activation ID's to admin them otherwise the commands will default to the 1st license entered.

this is simply explain in this guide:
    How to configure a KMS server in Windows Server 2008 R2 | ivan's blog

Thank Post
    You can get the KMS host key from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center. If I was you, I would install this update: Update adds support for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 clients to Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 KMS hosts and put the 2012R2 KMS host key in (as this will activate everything from Vista/Server 2008R1 to Windows 8.1/Server 2012R2).

Thank Post
    Thank you, I've watched the video but it simply shows the "KMS Host Key" as being entered, without explaining exactly what it is. Is it a key which I purchase separately from MVLSC which simply defines a "KMS Host" or is the "Host Key" the KMS key the one I see for each product in the MVLSC, along side the MAK keys?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathabell View Post
    or is the "Host Key" the KMS key the one I see for each product in the MVLSC, along side the MAK keys?
    Yes

FYI Office works differently for KMS - Set Up an Office 2010 KMS Host - Windows Video Demo | TechNet

Thank Post
    Thank you for the posts; KMS server now up and running I didn't realise that even though I don't want to use the 2008 server to activate (2008 server) systems, just Windows 7/8 and Office, it needed to be using a KMS key for it's own operating system. Although one Microsoft document does state that this is required in order for a hierarchical issuing of KMS keys. Once I'd converted the 2008 Server system to use a KMS key rather than a MAK, slmgr took the client keys and the server created the required DNS entry etc. Onwards and upwards...

Thank Post
    if your not aware already if a KMS key is used it another client and it publishes itself to KMS it will start accepting license requests.
    i stumbled across this when i was 1st testing KMS and one of my colleagues used a KMS key by mistake

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread