+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Roaming Profiles - User settings - Specifically screen resolution in Technical; Hi All, I am trying to configure my system so it remembers a users screen resolution when they log in. ...
    Thank Post

Roaming Profiles - User settings - Specifically screen resolution

Hi All,

I am trying to configure my system so it remembers a users screen resolution when they log in.

I don't particularly want students to have roaming profiles because they will end up with a million and one files on the desktop making it harder for us to see what they are saving.

I simply want when they log into a machine that it sets it to whatever screen resolution they have set previously. then when they log off I can use group policy to set it back to default.

Any Ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK - those settings would be stored in a users profile, roaming or otherwise. How do you currently have user profiles setup?

As for the desktop, we use folder redirection which means we can centrally fix what they see and the folder is locked read only. This works very well with roaming profiles.

Wouldn't setting any screen resolution options in a GPO automatically lock the settings and prevent users from being able to change them?

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

bencole (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thee screen resolution is a machine setting not a user setting so it won't be stored in the profile.

5. Thanks to FN-GM from:

bencole (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Screen Resolution is intended to be set correctly for that particular screen on that particular machine, which is why its a machine setting. Is the reason for the resolution change due to some students needing a larger interface? If so I would suggest trying to push people off changing screen resolution and instead adjusting text size / DPI. I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that this is a user account setting as opposed to a machine setting and therefore it will be transported in a roaming profile or stored in the local profile on the machine.

I don't know if its going to be worth your time, but you could run a script at logoff that uses WMI to query the resolution in use, then store the horizontal and vertical values in a file of some sort within the users profile, then create a VBS script for when a user logs on that retrieves these values and uses a program such as qres to set the resolution.

Its long winded, but I think it would probably work.
    Last edited by jb2201; 2nd May 2014 at 12:43 PM.

7. Thanks to jb2201 from:

bencole (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    That's what I would do, increase the text size in the display tab in control panel. This can be saved into a profile.

9. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

bencole (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Answer - Roaming profiles where the student can change the text size. Should have come to that conclusion by myself really thanks for the help guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread