+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Printer GPO - multiple driver download in Technical; Hi All We use Group Policy to deploy our printers. The initial logon is very slow and my understanding is ...

Thank Post

Printer GPO - multiple driver download

Hi All

We use Group Policy to deploy our printers. The initial logon is very slow and my understanding is that the delay is due to the client downloading the drivers, which is slow across our creaking wireless. This isn't a massive issue most of the time, as once the GPO has applied once, it runs straight past it at logon. However, if a new user logs into the machine for the first time, it downloads the drivers again. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Sounds like you are applying the printer gp by user?

I would suggest deploying printers, using the computer container if you can. This would mean that the printer is added to the machine when the pc starts up and not when user logs on. The only downside is, obviously each user has the same printer.

3. Thanks to cooka from:

jmak (23rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How and where exactly are you deplying printers? As Group Policy Preferences or through Print Mangement and Deploy with GPO? Are the printers being deployed to the machine or the user?

It sounds like the later, by user. If so is there any particular reason for deploying this way? The user always has the same printer(s) available no matter where they login?

We use Print Management and Deploy with GPO and deploy the printers to the machine - so anyone using that machine gets the nearest printer. In this scenario the drivers are installed once when the GPO is first applied, long before any user log's in. No drivers are copied on user login at all.

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

jmak (23rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooka View Post
    Sounds like you are applying the printer gp by user?

I would suggest deploying printers, using the computer container if you can. This would mean that the printer is added to the machine when the pc starts up and not when user logs on. The only downside is, obviously each user has the same printer.
    Thanks. I think I might have to do this - currently different users get different printers, so that when teachers log on to pupil machines they get access to all of the printers. The downside of losing that facility is probably out-weighed by the benefit of quicker log-ins.

Thank Post
    you can always allow them to add printers manually or just add the staff printers to the staff gpp that way its installing less at 1st logon iys not an either or approach you can mix them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    How and where exactly are you deplying printers? As Group Policy Preferences or through Print Mangement and Deploy with GPO? Are the printers being deployed to the machine or the user?

It sounds like the later, by user. If so is there any particular reason for deploying this way? The user always has the same printer(s) available no matter where they login?
    This. And for no particular reason, other than that is the method I discovered when I moved to Group Policy rather than logon scripts. From your reply, it sounds like I need to investigate using GPP.

Thanks for the suggestion

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you can always allow them to add printers manually or just add the staff printers to the staff gpp that way its installing less at 1st logon iys not an either or approach you can mix them
    Being uninformed rather than dim I think

So to achieve this, I deploy all printers to all computers with a GPO and then use GPP to restrict which printers are offered to which users? The school is physically quite small and there aren't many printers, so it doesn't matter that multiple are shown - there are a few printers that I don't want staff to print to, but it's more about setting the right default. Apart from anything else, they wouldn't notice and would then just complain that their printing wasn't arriving at the printer. Also, our infant age children can be click-happy. They're also unlikely to add in extra printers even if I allow them to add manually - if our seven year olds manage that, they probably deserve the privilege of using whatever printers they can find!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Being uninformed rather than dim I think

So to achieve this, I deploy all printers to all computers with a GPO and then use GPP to restrict which printers are offered to which users? The school is physically quite small and there aren't many printers, so it doesn't matter that multiple are shown - there are a few printers that I don't want staff to print to, but it's more about setting the right default. Apart from anything else, they wouldn't notice and would then just complain that their printing wasn't arriving at the printer. Also, our infant age children can be click-happy. They're also unlikely to add in extra printers even if I allow them to add manually - if our seven year olds manage that, they probably deserve the privilege of using whatever printers they can find!

Thanks
    not dim its something you dont know till you try

deploy the common printers on a COMPUTER basis gpp or print manager deploy (via ou groups however you want to do it) then use gpp to add the staff ones to staff USERS when they log on

11. Thanks to sted from:

jmak (23rd April 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread