+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Creating network drive from remote system in Technical; Hi, I have a 2008 R2 FRDC server. It has a small number of mapped drives for users such as ...

Thank Post

Question Creating network drive from remote system

Hi, I have a 2008 R2 FRDC server. It has a small number of mapped drives for users such as home folder, and public.

We also have another server which is responsible for the school MIS. I need to map to a folder on this server so that all users on my 2008 server get access to the folder.
    What is the best way for me to do this such that it just maps without the need for users to enter in user names and passwords?

I am aware I can do it via the netlogon, but usually this prompts for a password when it executes at user logon.

Thank Post
    Use Group Policy Preferences - make sure the area to share is set to Shared with the correct share and NTFS permissions. Then use the GPP 'Create' under Drive Maps and put in the network path. This assumes that you're using AD/GP.

3. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

talksr (19th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Use Group Policy Preferences - make sure the area to share is set to Shared with the correct share and NTFS permissions. Then use the GPP 'Create' under Drive Maps and put in the network path. This assumes that you're using AD/GP.
    Thanks ok. Yes all makese sense. I am using AD/GP on the FRDC but not on the other server which is just a W2008R2 on its own, no domain, no anything just sharing a folder and some IIS.
    I will give it a test now and see if it works via Drive Maps on the policy I have set up. Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Working very well. Thanks again

Thank Post
    Hmm it has been working well but random computers are now showing as disconnected just on that drive. When I check, it says Logon falure: unknown username or bad password. The details I entered in the GPO are correct.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    Hmm it has been working well but random computers are now showing as disconnected just on that drive. When I check, it says Logon falure: unknown username or bad password. The details I entered in the GPO are correct.

Any ideas?
    Not sure if you've installed these yet, but this hotfix sorted a lot of issues with us in regards mapped drives disconnecting.

A mapped drive that has the non-persistent flag set is displayed as a disconnected drive in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post

Any ideas?
    Sometimes, the Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option) can help with this for drive maps (shown on the Common tab in GPP).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread