+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Which of these server roles would you put together and which should be kept seperate in Technical; At a primary school the second server is old and I need to put DC role (backup from main dc), ...

Thank Post

Which of these server roles would you put together and which should be kept seperate

At a primary school the second server is old and I need to put DC role (backup from main dc), Remote desktop services and WSUS roles on. I just about have enough HDD space for one hyper-v VM so I essentially have 2 machines from the one.

I assume Remote desktop services and DC should not be located on the same server.

I also Assume DC should not go with the Hyper-v role.

I have had issues running WSUS with remote desktop services in the past due to both needing IIS services.

To complicated things I have limited space and do not want the WSUS role on the VM as WSUS gets larger in size over time and I have had issues in the past trying to expand a virtual disk.

Problem is, unless I make a compromise based on the items above and put one of the items with another, such as putting the DC on the remote desktop server, I am going to need an extra server which is not going to happen.

Does anyone run some of these services on a single server? Which can I mix?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't allow anyone to RDP onto a DC other than me.
    Hyper-V and DC cannot be on the same machine if you are using multiple non-aggrigate network cards for hyper-v (multi-homing).
    That leaves WSUS and IIS. I'd run both in individual VM's using auto expanding hard drives with a suitably large disk size (full 2Tb?). You don't need enough physical hard drive space for the 2Tb Virtual hard drive images, but will need to monitor and manage the actual drive space used by the VM's.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 25th February 2014 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks,

Hyper-V and DC cannot be on the same
    So that puts DC on a VM

I wouldn't allow anyone to RDP onto a DC other than me.
    So that put s RDP on main server

That leaves WSUS and IIS. I'd run both in individual VM's using auto expanding hard drives with a suitably large disk size (full 2Tb?). You don't need enough physical hard drive space for the 2Tb Virtual hard drive images, but will need to monitor and manage the actual drive space used by the VM's.
    Working it out in my head, if I was to install 2 OS's as I have listed, one physical and one VM, with all the above roles I would have about 60gb of space left which should be enough for WSUS to grow into and MS updates to use. Adding yet another VM, while just about possible would take most of the remaining valuable space needed for something like wsus to use so is not an option at the moment.

What I might try is to put the DC role on to the VM all by itself and see if I can get WSUS and RDS to coexist on the same physical server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread