+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RM CC4 to Vanilla in Technical; Hello people! I have been given the go ahead to start some tentative moves towards a vanilla network from CC4 ...
    Thank Post

RM CC4 to Vanilla

Hello people!

I have been given the go ahead to start some tentative moves towards a vanilla network from CC4

I have done a little research, and see that there are three ways I can do this:

1) One big jump from CC4 to Vanilla - This is almost a complete no go for the amount of disruption and the need for bringing in extra help at substantial cost
    2) Creating a new domain, setting up a trust relationship and then moving groups of computers across room by room.
    3) Keeping the existing domain, but starting new OUs (with inheritance blocked) and moving the various machines and users across this way.

At a glance, number 3 looks like a low risk\easier method, but is there any advantage in going for a brand new domain? Also for those who have done this before, is there any major gotchas I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    I would choose 3. Which one did you go for?

Thank Post
    We did option 3 just over a year ago but from CC3. What we had to do was on the OU that our users were stored in create now user polices and use WMI filtering so they only applied to our newly built windows 7 computer that sat in a brand new OU structure with associated computer policies.

The thing that took us a lot of time was configuring SCCM to deploy windows, updates & applications to our "new" machines... The best thing for us with keeping the same domain was not having to touch our Exchange server as it didn't require moving domains and all of users didn't notice any difference as their files remained the same on both systems, this was made easier by having the same version of office on both XP & win 7

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread