+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Shut Down - Email Notification in Technical; Hiya people, Probably a simple one this but we have our Server 2008 R2 hooked up to an UPS 1500.. ...

Thank Post

Shut Down - Email Notification

Hiya people,

Probably a simple one this but we have our Server 2008 R2 hooked up to an UPS 1500.. we have a lot of power cuts so obviously the use of UPS to shut the server down gracefully is needed. What i want is for the server as soon as the UPS kicks in and the server starts shutting down properly to notify myself via email of the shut down. This is important as my company needs emails over the weekend and if we have a power cut the person who arrives to turn the alarms off is completely computer illiterate so i would like to be notified so i can hook up to our ILO and boot it back up. So yer i literally just want to know if theres an easy way or a method at all of having trhe server email my personal email address upon shutdown of its current state.

Thanks!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it's an APC... Powerchute software.
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 24th February 2014 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbone View Post
    Hiya people,

Probably a simple one this but we have our Server 2008 R2 hooked up to an UPS 1500.. we have a lot of power cuts so obviously the use of UPS to shut the server down gracefully is needed. What i want is for the server as soon as the UPS kicks in and the server starts shutting down properly to notify myself via email of the shut down. This is important as my company needs emails over the weekend and if we have a power cut the person who arrives to turn the alarms off is completely computer illiterate so i would like to be notified so i can hook up to our ILO and boot it back up. So yer i literally just want to know if theres an easy way or a method at all of having trhe server email my personal email address upon shutdown of its current state.

Thanks!!
    +1 for APC and powerchute. From experience, APC UPS are the best and well worth the money. Any decent UPS *should* come with software that is able to send an email alert though. Have you checked the software that came with your UPS?
    Last edited by hallb15; 24th February 2014 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Havent looked into that yet no. Will certainly do that now! Cheers guys, will let u know how it gets on.. is powerchute 1st party ups software or 3rd party?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Havent looked into that yet no. Will certainly do that now! Cheers guys, will let u know how it gets on.. is powerchute 1st party ups software or 3rd party?

Powerchute is APC's software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Powerchute is APC's software.
    Ah yes ive been using this. Im a point and click kind of person :P names mean nothing, had a look inside but see nowhere to do this yet

EDIT: Do i need to potentially add code to the command file in shutdown sequence of something?
    Last edited by Jbone; 24th February 2014 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Ah yes ive been using this. Im a point and click kind of person :P names mean nothing, had a look inside but see nowhere to do this yet

EDIT: Do i need to potentially add code to the command file in shutdown sequence of something?
    No, you don't need to do any coding. Its all configured in the Powerchute software.
    I haven't done it for a while, and it will vary slightly depending on the version of Powerchute you have, but there is help for the Business edition here:
    Frequently Asked Questions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    No, you don't need to do any coding. Its all configured in the Powerchute software.
    I haven't done it for a while, and it will vary slightly depending on the version of Powerchute you have, but there is help for the Business edition here:
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Cheers mate will just read through that to figure it out. Great help thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread