+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Lost Work in Technical; Hi Peeps, Thanks in advance Ok here goes I hope this makes sense. Just started to redo our GP 's ...
    Thank Post

Lost Work

Hi Peeps, Thanks in advance

Ok here goes I hope this makes sense.

Just started to redo our GP's and created new OU's for staff and students, so I have gone through the old settings and transferred what I needed and left out what I didn't need etc. I moved the students over no problem and it actually works quite well. As our staff don't like change I have been slowly moving each teacher across when a change is needed and then explained your desktop now looks different because of this and that.

So I had a teacher on holiday and I was asked to set up her out of office on her e-mail, so changed her password (authorised) and set up Out Of Office replies, this said it was working but didn't send the response e-mail, so I moved her to the new OU and thought nothing much more about it, tested the Out of office still not working so I have been looking into that but this stuff happens, not really concerned.

The teacher in question came back on Monday and had a few issues logging in and settings, which I put down too, can I say user error (i'm very bitter and twisted NM and everybody's stupid ) so I get an e-mail this morning saying she cant find her documents so I remote in make sure the path is correct, which it is. So have a look around cant see anything obviously wrong so thought I fire up Veeam and restore her documents to before she went on holiday. Now this is where I'm concerned ive got backups dating al the way to 1st Jan and she doesn't appear on any of them there is no work on the network for her I have logged onto every PC she has used and no work in the local hard drives aswell.

I'm starting to panic now as she has been here for 5 years and is very high up the pecking order and also she's really nice !

Any Ideas where to look ? I'm of to Spain on Sunday and would really like this not to spoil my holiday .

Setup:

VMWare VCentre
    Veeam Backup

Server 2008 server
    Windows 7 Clients

Thank Post
    Have you enabled the delete profile after so many days in the new policies like our LEA did and let them save on local profiles?
    That would explain why its not on the server backups. Hopefully not as your stuffed then.

What about her profile location if you save the profile to a network location. Ours is in a different location to their home directories.
    Last edited by dany2010; 27th February 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    While logged in as the affected user, look in the Recent places view in Explorer, along with recently used file lists in Word etc. That should give you some good leads.

Thank Post
    Just looked at the original post date.
    Were a bit late, sorry Dave.

Was distracted by the motorbike pic when I posted.

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician. I've tried that there's no recent documents and everything is empty! looked in her new profile, as I have moved her back to her old one and found the recent's that point to the server location that is empty. so from a breadcrumb point of view I know she has saved work to her server location on the new profile but this is empty, when you login as her there's is no recent's, no shadow copies anywhere and nothing in the event logs to show that the directory have been moved or deleted.

I've downloaded a full file search from Jam Software which hasn't come up with anything on the network or the local pc's.

@ Dany no problem, the bike is the only thing that keeps me sane

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread