+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Brand new Active Directory - From scratch in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK Greif, more unfounded, unspecific generalisations. I thought I was quite specific with my generalisations. And they ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Brand new Active Directory - From scratch

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Greif, more unfounded, unspecific generalisations.
    I thought I was quite specific with my generalisations. And they are hardly unfounded as they are based on empirical evidence from my environment, which having a Windows Server 2008R2 backed should favour a Windows client over anything else.

If you have mandatory profiles and well setup gpos on newish pcs they can log in plenty fast. Or if you have older macs they can take some time (hello forced obselesence with 10.released after your mac).
    We do, the PCs are equivalent in spec to the Macs, and the PCs do login relatively quickly. Just not as quickly as the Macs, both for a user that had never logged on before as well as for a pre-existing user account. However, if we had a .local domain, the PCs would win that battle by a country mile (again based on actual empirical evidence).

If you are not careful you are going to need a new axe after you grind clean through this one.
    My IT axe was forged in the hell-like fires of 20 years experience in the defence, manufacturing, retail, finance, and education industries. It should last for quite a while.
    Last edited by seawolf; 1st March 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I hate macs as much as the next guy, but i'm not the type of sysadmin who just sits there and says no. I tried it, found out the caveats and worked around them. I certainly wasn't about to go start making huge, irreversible changes to my windows domain for the sake of them.

Whatever evidence you have that PC's would win the login race "by a country mile" on a .local domain must be flawed, as this is not the case my in my domain, so there must be a solution for others aswell, every network is different.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...se/HPGr5LWgbBI
    http://www.thursby.com/faq/os-x-107-...-local-domains
    http://www.thursby.com/local-domain-login-10.6.8
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4041
    Last edited by cogrady84; 1st March 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I thought I was quite specific with my generalisations. And they are hardly unfounded as they are based on empirical evidence from my environment, which having a Windows Server 2008R2 backed should favour a Windows client over anything else.

We do, the PCs are equivalent in spec to the Macs, and the PCs do login relatively quickly. Just not as quickly as the Macs, both for a user that had never logged on before as well as for a pre-existing user account. However, if we had a .local domain, the PCs would win that battle by a country mile (again based on actual empirical evidence).

My IT axe was forged in the hell-like fires of 20 years experience in the defence, manufacturing, retail, finance, and education industries. It should last for quite a while.
    One single environment is not empirical, more like anecdotal but anyhow in your environment and probably many you may be right however without a study across several hundred with it all configured 'properly' as per you the actual definitive specs for defining every case are lost somewhere in unfounded statistics.

I'm certain you have many valid points but you are expressing them in a very abrasive way as most of the people on here also have a decade or more of experience to forge their axes. Your experience is appreciated but may be better accepted with a little less edge in the delivery.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 1st March 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm certain you have many valid points but you are expressing them in a very abrasive way as most of the people on here also have a decade or more of experience to forge their axes also. You experience is appreciated but may be better accepted with a little less edge in the delivery.
    +1

This is kind of what I wanted to say, but couldn't find a way to say it in a non-aggressive way. I have over 12 years experience in this field also, so I am more than comfortable within my own system to fiddle around and make it work, somehow or other.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm certain you have many valid points but you are expressing them in a very abrasive way
    ...and the pot calls the kettle black.

I guess you just bring out the abrasive in me SYNACK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    ...and the pot calls the kettle black.

I guess you just bring out the abrasive in me SYNACK.

You are right. I was abrasive in responce which was not helpful but my point is still valid. If we can both keep it a tad more civil then it will be better for everyone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234