+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, best way to set local admins in Technical; Hi, I've noticed that all our PCs have a default list of local administrators. This has been done via group ...
    Thank Post

best way to set local admins

Hi,

I've noticed that all our PCs have a default list of local administrators.

This has been done via group policy: the GPO is linked at the domain
    so effects all OUs and uses "Restricted Groups" with just one group:
    Administrators.

Looking at it's properties I see under "Members of this group"
    a list of users/groups.

I need more fine grained control and am not sure on the best way to approach it?

If I delete this "Restricted Groups" setting from the GPO which applies at the domain level
    what will happen ?
    Will local admins revert to whatever they where previously on each PC or will they just stay as is?

Should I set "Restricted Groups" via another GPO at a lower level OU e.g. using inheritance ?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Anybody use restricted groups ?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    We use restricted groups for local administrators for many Reasons. For one it's a quick way to give someone the ability to install specific software on their workstation without compromising the whole system by making them Domain Admins which I have seen
    Last edited by Davit2005; 10th February 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Not sure what your doing but GPP can edit local accounts. I use this to disable some old local accounts and set the administrator password incase some pupil figures out how to hack the local admin password... it'll set it right back

Thank Post
    Generally If you make a change through GP the clients will hold that setting until it is changed again. If you want to see what happens when you make changes on a GPO you can always disable rather than delete it. That way should you accidentally lock yourself out of something you can always re-enable the GPO and reboot the client.

If you want to test some GPO settings create a test OU and move a client & Test User into that and create a new GPO there. Once testing is done you can either add it to specific OU or further up the chain to apply to more Objects.

6. Thanks to penfold from:

mrstrong (12th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Yep test, test. You can create a gpo with restricted groups, add a ad group l. Then apply it to a ou with the pcs the user/s need to be administrator of.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Not sure what your doing but GPP can edit local accounts. I use this to disable some old local accounts and set the administrator password incase some pupil figures out how to hack the local admin password... it'll set it right back
    Someone pointed out to me that is a bad idea as someone can edit the XML files and see the password in plain text

Thank Post
    ok thanks all,
    I'll do some testing and then if looks ok I'll probably edit the GPO linked at the domain level so the Administrators group
    has only proper admin members e.g. Domain admins
    Then link a new GPO with a restricted groups setting to a lower down OU e.g. "office computers" with say "office staff" in administrators group

Thank Post
    Looks ok after testing. Made some notes as I went along:

Disabled GPO link at domain. then after a gpupdate and machine reboot I see local admins are back to old values
    Can check members via "net localgroup administrators"
    So re-enabled link but tweaked members of BUILTIN\Administrators
    Linked a new GPO at lower down OU but used caution as "last writer wins" (not merged)
    Decided to create a “NewGroup” with extra admin users in and added it as restricted group
    then added it as a "member of" Administrators

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    Someone pointed out to me that is a bad idea as someone can edit the XML files and see the password in plain text
    Humm, I don't think so. Here is the display of the XML from one of my local accounts:

Code:
    <User clsid="{DF5F1855-51E5-4d24-8B1A-D9BDE98BA1D1}" name="test" image="2" changed="2011-02-08 15:25:48" uid="{BC12EEED-5D85-4B22-8ADB-CB4384E06685}"><Properties action="U" newName="" fullName="" description="I've been updated by GPOP" cpassword="X9TRYzbd48xabczRWha2i+AxxstcqhZE9nZeJc4/MKeMXtwCoQ0hkb8Zg0XIH/P87" changeLogon="1" noChange="0" neverExpires="0" acctDisabled="1" subAuthority="" userName="test"/></User>
    I've changed the password a bit but not made it longer just swapped out some chars.

It's may be reversible but not quite plain text. You'd need hard drive access to see it anyway and I think anything less than whole drive encryption won't help that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Humm, I don't think so. Here is the display of the XML from one of my local accounts:

I've changed the password a bit but not made it longer just swapped out some chars.

It's may be reversible but not quite plain text. You'd need hard drive access to see it anyway and I think anything less than whole drive encryption won't help that.
    Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing....

You are using GPP to set a local password on a machine. You edited the XML file in the sysvol folder on the server and that's what it showed?

And, I would be more then happy to destroy any misconceptions you have about preventing users from being able to access the c drive.
    Last edited by MordyT; 13th February 2014 at 05:23 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread