+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, WSUS error, can anyone help?! in Technical; Hi, I have opened WSUS as I usually to to see which updates I need to approve and I am ...

Thank Post

Exclamation WSUS error, can anyone help?!

Hi, I have opened WSUS as I usually to to see which updates I need to approve and I am getting an error.
    The only changes to our server, was Backup Exec 2012 was installed during the week.

The error is as follows:
    The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException -- No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.232.164.11:80

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
    at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Bool ean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- Unable to connect to the remote server

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy .CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy .GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminAp iTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSum maryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSetti ngs settings)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSum maryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSum maryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()
    I have tried restarting the services it suggested, no difference.

Thank Post
    I had this problem after installing Backup Exec. I gave up and setup a VM for WSUS. Sorry that isn't much help.

3. Thanks to gmonks from:

talksr (22nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,251 Posts
    It looks like you're using the default port on WSUS (80), try re-installing it and using another port.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmonks View Post
    I had this problem after installing Backup Exec. I gave up and setup a VM for WSUS. Sorry that isn't much help.
    Not sure why, but did a couple of bounces and now it all works with no problems.
    Not that impressed with the new version of BE 2012 - it was a nightmare to get on and we couldn't get their support staff to remotely connect to server because their remote software is blocked on LGFL.
    Got there in the end

Thank Post
    Hi there. Unfortunately, this problem is back and does not seem to be resolving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have reinstalled WSUS and it has made no change.

Thank Post
    did you try installing wsus on a different IIS port

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    did you try installing wsus on a different IIS port
    Have not tried that, which ports could I use? I don't believe IIS has anything else running.

Thank Post
    why backup a wsus it's hardly mission critical? I have mine installed on an old server in a cupboard. So it doesn't clog the SAN with crud. I don't back it up as I'll just rebuild if it fails at my own leisure. No one will miss it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    why backup a wsus it's hardly mission critical? I have mine installed on an old server in a cupboard. So it doesn't clog the SAN with crud. I don't back it up as I'll just rebuild if it fails at my own leisure. No one will miss it.
    It's not just wsus, its the frdc for the whole admin network.
    Perhaps a separate WSUS server is the answer, just an old desktop PC with a few 100 gb hdd space?

Thank Post
    Have not tried that, which ports could I use? I don't believe IIS has anything else running.
    From memory, when installing wsus it asks if you want to use the default IIS location/port, if you choose a different location/port it will give you a different port number.

I needed to do this after installing something on the server that did not seem to need IIS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread