+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Printers via GPP - quick question in Technical; When I set GPPs up for deploying printers, I put the first action as deleting all currently installed printers. This ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Printers via GPP - quick question

When I set GPPs up for deploying printers, I put the first action as deleting all currently installed printers. This way each user started off with a clean slate and the GPP then installed the printers assigned to that user.

However, I was just thinking whether this was the best way of doing this as I think it might be slowing the login down.
    So, I was thinking of setting each printer to be removed when not in scope. Therefore the if a currently installed printer is still required it won't be removed and re-added which might speed up the login a bit? Does this work?

Anyway, how do you do yours?

Thank Post
    Removing the printer each time will slow things down. I just leave them connected and never remove.

Thank Post
    How i do mine:

More long winded to setup, but much more customisable in the long run. This has worked wonderfully for me for quite some time now. (bar one new issue with secure print as per thread the other day)

EDIT: on the right the top one is the deletion the bottom is adding it again. Also do you like our PC namess for our IT teachers office (which is in T block)

Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Removing the printer each time will slow things down. I just leave them connected and never remove.
    From experience that throws up all sorts of issues when roaming profile users start moving around. You end up with staff going to their offices after being in a classroom and printing something confidential to a classroom printer by accident because they're too stupid to check first.
    Last edited by mrbios; 14th January 2014 at 02:00 PM.

4. Thanks to mrbios from:

sparkeh (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    From experience that throws up all sorts of issues when roaming profile users start moving around. You end up with staff going to their offices after being in a classroom and printing something confidential to a classroom printer by accident because they're too stupid to check first.
    Yeah this is my thinking about deleting them first so they always get the right printers for their location.

Just wondering if doing the delete action takes longer than using the remove when out of scope option.

Thank Post
    I've found GPP printers to be very slow but I like the way that you do it @mrbios even if the computer names are a bit suspect . Do you find that these apply quickly enough in day to day login?
    My setup for this left it taking nearly 2mins to log on sometimes always getting "applying GPP printers policy" on login screen

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    My setup for this left it taking nearly 2mins to log on sometimes always getting "applying GPP printers policy" on login screen
    Ok maybe my setup isn't that bad

Thank Post
    I've found GPP printers to be very slow but I like the way that you do it @mrbios even if the computer names are a bit suspect . Do you find that these apply quickly enough in day to day login?
    I've got verbose messages turned on for my test teacher account, logging that in using impero to a random machine now and it took 30 seconds exactly (to a usable desktop) of which the applying printers policy part was only a 2 second component.... the longest part for me is the folder redirection, that must take 5-10 seconds i think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I've got verbose messages turned on for my test teacher account, logging that in using impero to a random machine now and it took 30 seconds exactly (to a usable desktop) of which the applying printers policy part was only a 2 second component.... the longest part for me is the folder redirection, that must take 5-10 seconds i think.
    OK back to the drawing board for that then. It seems to be the downloading of the drivers that takes the longest but why it has to download them every time is beyond me. Can I ask what other Group policy settings you have in relation to this (point and print restrictions etc)?

Thank Post
    OK back to the drawing board for that then. It seems to be the downloading of the drivers that takes the longest but why it has to download them every time is beyond me. Can I ask what other Group policy settings you have in relation to this (point and print restrictions etc)?
    I have Point and Print Restrictions set to:
    Users can only point and print to these servers: Disabled
    Users can only point and print to machines in their forest Disabled

Security Prompts:
    When installing drivers for a new connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt
    When updating drivers for an existing connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt

Those settings allow the printer drivers to install by basic users without needing administrators.

I've also go "Execute print drivers in isolated processes" set to enabled, though I'm not sure if that one is needed, i think i needed that to fix a buggy driver once but I'm not certain.

My mandatory profiles are also tiny at only 812kb so nothing to do with printing is saved in the profiles at all.

The last setting i have for printers is under windows > security settings > local policies > security options > devices: prevent users from installing printer drivers: Disabled

11. Thanks to mrbios from:

cromertech (14th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread