+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, What're you using for a shared PDF printer? (That isn't PDFCreator). in Technical; PDFCreator has got to the "it annoys* me enough that I want to replace it with something more reliable" stage, ...

Thank Post

What're you using for a shared PDF printer? (That isn't PDFCreator).

PDFCreator has got to the "it annoys* me enough that I want to replace it with something more reliable" stage, so...

I'm using it (still) because it offers an easy way of people printing to their homedirs (the default PDF printer pushed to users is configured to save in \\server\share\username\filenameyou'reprinting-datastamp.pdf).

Lots of things offer the "shared PDF printer" option. Not a great deal that I've seen offers a "and automatically name the generated PDF and place it in user homedir" requirement**"

* disproportionately high cpu use on the print server, occasional unreliable printing (jobs are skipped or hung for undetemined reasons).
    ** Naming a bulk run is irritating to do manually and I'd rather a PDF just magically appeared without end-user interaction. Something that can read and use the MyDocuments variable would be handy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    PDFCreator has got to the "it annoys* me enough that I want to replace it with something more reliable" stage
    Samba and GhostScript - you can set up a generic Postscript printer with Samba that gets converted to a PDF via GhostScript. Handily, you can get the printer driver to be a generic Postscript driver built in to Windows, so every machine can use the PDF printer without having to load a driver. You can also tell the user printing from the server side, so you can have a script that drops the PDF document right in a user's network Documents folder or wherever you want.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread