+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Server Backup Taking Forever in Technical; Hey Guys I have just realised today that my server backup is still in progress but is scheduled to backup ...

Thank Post

Server Backup Taking Forever

Hey Guys

I have just realised today that my server backup is still in progress but is scheduled to backup everyday at 7:30pm and it's only done 78%??? I use windows server backup and told it to backup to a NAS box which has a Samba share on it. I'm a bit confused to why this is as the domain controller finish it's backup in minutes??? Anyone have any ideas??

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Is it backing up files that are in use?
    It could just be waiting or retrying a lot.
    Happens with DB files

Thank Post
    Yes its our file server so normally the files are being used, would this be cause just seems real slow

Thank Post
    I used to find our home areas backups took over 24 hours - in the end I excluded AppData (in our case this doesn't contain anything important) which often contains a huge number of tiny files which murdered the copy speeds in Robocopy. Been fine since. Not sure if you can exclude in this way with WSB, or if it's appropriate, but worth a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I used to find our home areas backups took over 24 hours - in the end I excluded AppData (in our case this doesn't contain anything important) which often contains a huge number of tiny files which murdered the copy speeds in Robocopy.
    We're finding rsync is taking around 15 minutes to backup our entire file server at busy times - shared file areas, user file areas and redirected desktops, although admittedly we don't have redirected AppData folders. rsync is available for Windows, the original poster might find that woth a try for their users files and do server state via Windows Server Backup.

Thank Post
    Hehe yeah that's a fair bit quicker. You probably have a very different storage setup to us, but that's still impressive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my experience Windows Server Backup is particularly slow. Backup of our VM host with 2 DCs on it start at 7pm and Windows Backup would finish about 6am. Acronis Backup was better, finishing at about 11pm.

Veeam takes 37 mins to do both VMs. All were doing the same type of job. Perhaps there was some kind of problem but the difference is stunning.

Thank Post
    Ah ok, so do you think it would be better to go with Acronis backup then rather than Windows Backup? I'm going to look for alternative I think! Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    In my experience Windows Server Backup is particularly slow. Backup of our VM host with 2 DCs on it start at 7pm and Windows Backup would finish about 6am. Acronis Backup was better, finishing at about 11pm.

Veeam takes 37 mins to do both VMs. All were doing the same type of job. Perhaps there was some kind of problem but the difference is stunning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Ah ok, so do you think it would be better to go with Acronis backup then rather than Windows Backup? I'm going to look for alternative I think! Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Ah no please don't take that as an endorsement of Acronis, just giving my experience with Windows Backup compared to other solutions. Acronis was a funny old bit of software, dead easy to setup and when it worked it was great, if something went wrong it was hellish to try and fix. I have also used Symantec which I hate with a passion.

Are you backing up virtual servers? If so then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Veeam. Otherwise people backing up physical servers will have more recent experience with 3rd party backup software for that environment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread