+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Staff Share loses connection on laptops in Technical; Hey Guys Really hoping you can help me, I did call up county but that was a week ago and ...

Thank Post

Staff Share loses connection on laptops

Hey Guys

Really hoping you can help me, I did call up county but that was a week ago and they still can't help me! Basically I have a file server which has the Staff's home drive, Pupil's home drive, Staff share and Pupil share on it. These are all mapped from my Domain Controller server using Group Policy. When teachers are using their laptops and the laptops go to sleep the laptops drop connection from the server for a few seconds and loose connection to all the mapped drives. Once the wifi reconnects itself they all reconnect again no problem. Except for the staff share which to enable to reconnect you must full restart your machine. I can't understand why this is really hoping you guys could shed some light on this as a lot of staff are getting annoyed about this!

Thanks
    Alex

Thank Post
    No idea how much difference this setting makes as I've always enabled it, but do you have the 'reconnect' setting checked on your staff share mapped drive?

Capture.PNG

Thank Post
    Hi Mate

Yeah I have checked that option and they all have it ticked. I have also checked the sharing properties and all drives have the same options ticked!! So strange :/

Alex

Thank Post
    Do you get any kind of error message when attempting to connect to the staff share drive after you wake the laptop from sleep?

Thank Post
    Yeah, it just says Could not connect to B: Drive. No reason behind it because if you go onto run and type \\filecloud\staffshare it will reconnect to it again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've found that sleeping machines cause all sorts of issues, so the power options are to turn off the display, but never sleep. Try applying that policy to the laptops, at least they will always retain their connection that way :-)

Thank Post
    I got around this by creating a small VB program that is installed on staff laptops, it checks if it can ping a domain server every 10 seconds, if it can and the drives are disconnected then it will re-map them. It seems pretty efficient, hardly touches the laptops resources but we are on new Macbooks here.

Alternatively if Staff are allowed to run VBS files, you could just create a small script which maps the drives back in and tell them to run it if they ever lose connection.
    Last edited by jb2201; 9th December 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Try mapping the same share to a drive other than B:\. B: was originally reserved for removable drives (a second floppy!, showing my age). It certainly used to behave differently to c: and above. If I am honest, I don't think I have used b:\ for over 15 years so they may have changed things since Windows 95. Anyway, it's very easy to test. Map the second drive letter to the same share, if one works and the other doesn't sorted. If not then you've only lost 10 minute of time...

Thank Post
    Hi mate how can I set this in a policy?? I don't want to have to go round to every laptop as we're a school of 300 of the things!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I've found that sleeping machines cause all sorts of issues, so the power options are to turn off the display, but never sleep. Try applying that policy to the laptops, at least they will always retain their connection that way :-)

Thank Post
    Thanks mate great idea although staff here can't run VBS files or scripts!
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2201 View Post
    I got around this by creating a small VB program that is installed on staff laptops, it checks if it can ping a domain server every 10 seconds, if it can and the drives are disconnected then it will re-map them. It seems pretty efficient, hardly touches the laptops resources but we are on new Macbooks here.

Alternatively if Staff are allowed to run VBS files, you could just create a small script which maps the drives back in and tell them to run it if they ever lose connection.

Thank Post
    I've checked with Drive letter viewer and nothing is using B: though I will give it a go see if it makes a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    Try mapping the same share to a drive other than B:\. B: was originally reserved for removable drives (a second floppy!, showing my age). It certainly used to behave differently to c: and above. If I am honest, I don't think I have used b:\ for over 15 years so they may have changed things since Windows 95. Anyway, it's very easy to test. Map the second drive letter to the same share, if one works and the other doesn't sorted. If not then you've only lost 10 minute of time...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I've checked with Drive letter viewer and nothing is using B: though I will give it a go see if it makes a difference
    Doesn't matter if anything is on that drive letter or not. @GeekyPete nailed it with it being reserved for floppy drives. Back in the day you could use it as a ghost drive for copying between floppy disks in a single floppy drive system. It's probably something legacy related when the machine comes out of sleep.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Hi mate how can I set this in a policy?? I don't want to have to go round to every laptop as we're a school of 300 of the things!!!
    It's User Configuration | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Power Options (right click) > new > Power Plan

14. Thanks to Joanne from:

abillybob (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    But after you try any other drive than b: right....

Thank Post
    Hmm restarted the file server last night and don't seem to have had anyone come chase me down! Thanks for all your help though! I have had things that use the letter B: before now and I've never had an issue. Saying that I will change the drive letter if anything goes wrong and see what happens cheers guys

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast