+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Anyway to allow users to install certain pieces of software? in Technical; Hey Guys Can I specify someway on what software to allow users to install. For example we have this Clicker ...

Thank Post

Anyway to allow users to install certain pieces of software?

Hey Guys

Can I specify someway on what software to allow users to install. For example we have this Clicker Free Trial software all the staff want to install on their laptops. It would take me ages to run around every machine and install it so can I just put this software on the Staff shared area and allow the staff user accounts to install this software and only this software, so it will still pop-up asking for administrator password for everything else but clicker?
    Would save me loads of time would really appreciate it!

Alex

Thank Post
    If it's a regular thing have you considered SCCM? You can publish the software so users can load up the Software Centre application and click install from within there and it will install it for them without needing the admin password etc.

Thank Post
    Ah didn't even know about this till now and it looks good, Thankyou mate. Although I have been here just over a year now and this is the first time this has ever needed doing. I was just wondering if theres anyway for example if I change the Security settings that all users could install the software??

Thank Post
    Last time one of my schools ponied up for Clicker it had an MSI installer so it was just a question of creating a suitable "install software" GPO. IIRC it also came with instructions on how to install to a network share. The trial version may not have these features, though.

Thank Post
    I can't do it that way In the installation process it asks either for a serial number or to use evaluation version and they need to tick the evaluation version. Plus it doesn't have an .msi anyway. All I wanted to do was to put the .exe file on the shared area and allow users to double click it and install it although I only want this to b the case for this software, are you guys saying this isn't possible???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I can't do it that way In the installation process it asks either for a serial number or to use evaluation version and they need to tick the evaluation version. Plus it doesn't have an .msi anyway. All I wanted to do was to put the .exe file on the shared area and allow users to double click it and install it although I only want this to b the case for this software, are you guys saying this isn't possible???
    There's a setup tool for it that creates MSI's, that have the serial etc in it.

Steve

Thank Post
    you can assign software to users rather than pcs in gpo and as long as they have access to add remove/programs and features iirc its listed in there

or a real cheat create a user that has admin right but give it a batch file something like so does job then logs off
    msiexec /i "\\server\share\slicker\clicker.msi" transforms="\\server\share\slicker\clicker.mst" /qb
    shutdown /l
    Last edited by sted; 25th November 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Thank Post
    They don't unfortunately, the don't even have access to the C Drive... meh... looks like I'll be installing it on each machine and see if we buy it. Seems I can install it across the network when you buy it. But thanks for all your help guys

Thank Post
    you could save a little effort and use psexexc.exe you can use it run software (inc exe installers) remotely without interrupting the user. I've done this for trial programs like scratch.

here's how it looks

Code:
    c:\localdirectory\psexec.exe \\remotemachine -s "\\remoteshare\program.exe" /q
    -s for system account /q quiet (if it's supported)

you can use it with msi's even better. I use it when I'm on the phone and they want to try some software.

Code:
    c:\localdirectory\psexec.exe \\computername -s msiexec /i "\\myserver\distribution point\share\program.msi" /q

Thank Post
    Call me a noob but is this a code I need to write in notepad and apply it someway. I've never even seen this or how to use it??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread