+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Migrating Active directory domain controller, DNS, DHCP, Print Server, File Server in Technical; Hi All, Migrating Active directory domain controller, DNS, DHCP, Print Server, File Server from Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2. ...
    Thank Post

Migrating Active directory domain controller, DNS, DHCP, Print Server, File Server

Hi All,

Migrating Active directory domain controller, DNS, DHCP, Print Server, File Server from Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2.

Once I have migrated all the data I am Wiping the server and starting a fresh with Server 2012 and migrating all the Data back.

Never migrated servers before but have all the instructions from Microsoft technet.

Anyone any pointers or tips to help me avoid any pitfalls or a complete melt down.

Regards,

Ben

Thank Post
    1. Make sure you have a good backup :P
    2. Make sure you have a good idea of what you're doing.
    3. Make sure you definitely have a good backup.

Thank Post
    4. Make sure you have a good backup

Thank Post
    Why do it that way? You don't need to migrate the data off then back on - you can place a Server 2008 R2 DC (dcpromo) on the domain and set it as the FSMO role holder. You can migrate all of the other systems this way too (though print serving will need rebuilding as the drivers probably won't work any more). This is a much more native, and less risky, way of updating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Why do it that way? You don't need to migrate the data off then back on - you can place a Server 2008 R2 DC (dcpromo) on the domain and set it as the FSMO role holder. You can migrate all of the other systems this way too (though print serving will need rebuilding as the drivers probably won't work any more). This is a much more native, and less risky, way of updating.
    Just started in the post a few weeks ago. The previous Guy died in post. The server is full to the brim of rubbish and definitely needs a fresh start.

Thank Post
    + still trying to find out exactly what is being backed up its using veritas onto a NAS drive in my office no Tapes. I think it is just copying the user documents area and the shared areas.

Thank Post
    I would be tempted to look at the backup situation first, I wouldn’t change anything until I was 100% (or as close as we ever get to it) that I could restore everything thing back.

The important thing, imho, is the data from the file server. Everything else can be built from scratch if needs be (not ideal I know). Do a full backup and restore it to the 2008R2 server, and see if anything is missing.

If all files are present and correct, dcpromo the 2008R2 box and migrate the users/homedrives/mapped shares etc. (If not already move over to DFS, so when you migrate back to new 2012 box you dont have as much work)

Export the printers from the print manager, import into 2008R2 box, test them (update drivers if necessary), and move users to new printer shares.

At this point you can still move back if anything goes wrong

Leave it a few days, if all is well, start to migrate other services, FSMO etc
    Last edited by smithson83; 19th November 2013 at 01:34 PM.

8. Thanks to smithson83 from:

bencole (19th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Its incredible how much paper work there is in this office but none of it useful. I cant even find where the intranet is hosted as of yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bencole View Post
    Its incredible how much paper work there is in this office but none of it useful. I cant even find where the intranet is hosted as of yet.
    I was in a similar situation a few years back in my current post. Couldn't find anything on how the current setup was running, everything I tried to do lead to days of research, finding out default usernames and passwords, resetting switches to get access etc. Looking back, I wish I had the bottle to just backup the users files etc, wipe the whole lot and start fresh.

I'm now running a system that everypart was spec'd and installed by myself, and is running nicely. The only downside is, you lose the, "well suchabody set this up, not sure why he/she did it this way, so its not myfault" excuse...

11. Thanks to smithson83 from:

bencole (19th November 2013)

Thank Post
    As for the Intranet, there should be an Alias in DNS (matching whatever is in the address bar) pointing to the host, on the host i'd be looking for either IIS, apaché or xampp and follow the trail.

Thank Post
    Just started in the post a few weeks ago. The previous Guy died in post. The server is full to the brim of rubbish and definitely needs a fresh start.
    If it's in disarray, that's not a bad idea. Just try to get as much off there as possible, onto VMs, NAS storage, other servers etc, just so you minimise the risk of losing anything critical. Then build the new domain and servers alongside the old - that way you can move each service across bit by bit. Then join the PCs to the new domain, and dish out the new accounts.

14. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

bencole (20th November 2013)

Thank Post
    I like the thinking @3s-gtech

If you have the storage, you could use p2v on the current server, install HyperV on the 2008R2 box, run the old server from there, then Build the 2012domain from scratch and start the migration process from there. That way you have a full working copy of the original setup to fall back on.

16. Thanks to smithson83 from:

Thank Post
    Have you tested the procedure with VMs first?

Make a 2003 VM, customize it, back up. Create new VM, new OS, recover?

18. Thanks to Trapper from:

Thank Post
    Why not just go straight to 2012. You can migrate roles using the Windows Migration Tools

20. Thanks to deano from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    Why not just go straight to 2012. You can migrate roles using the Windows Migration Tools
    Thanks for the effort but we have been over this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast