+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Stop children moving folders? in Technical; Not sure where this should go really. Classes have a shared folder on the server containing a folder for each ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts

Stop children moving folders?

Not sure where this should go really.
    Classes have a shared folder on the server containing a folder for each child. Some lovely little angel has worked out that you can move them and so folders keep disappearing - triggering a frantic search - they are usually found inside something else.
    Is there any way to stop them being able to move the folder but still have access and permissions for the files/folders inside?

Thank Post
    PERM.pngMake the root folder so the users can only read to 'This folder only' then on each folder change the permission so that user full control of sub folders and files only. You do this on the advanced -> change permissions page of the security screen.
    Last edited by Quackers; 14th November 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Thank Post
    So
    I change the permission on the "top" folder (folder 1) so users can only read to this folder only. But then on all the folders ( folder 2) inside this I allow full control of sub folders and files only?
    But that would be sub folders of folder 2, not folder 2 itself? Or am I going mad?

*edit
    I have just looked at the folders and I do not see what you showed me. There is NO "apply to" box
    I have a security tab and an edit permissions button - not a permissions tab.
    Last edited by witch; 14th November 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Thank Post
    My mistake it is the Security Tab, its not called Permissions.

So from the security tab on the root folder (folder 1)click the advanced , change permissions, then uncheck remove 'include inheritable permissions from this parents object'

Then add admins, and system to full control to full of this folder, subfolders and files.

Then make users read this folder only, that will allow them into it, but not modify anything.

Then on folder 2 make it so that the user can read the folder, but full control to subfolders and files only, so the actual folder cannot be modified just anything inside it can.

Thank Post
    Thanks
    I think they just want folder 1 "stuck". But I cant modify the permissions for that one, can I, without removing the "inheritable permissions" bit. Having removed that - do I then have to modify every single folder in there? (eg folder 1 is class 4m and inside is a folder each for all children in the class)
    Last edited by witch; 14th November 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sadly it does have to be done for each folder (our top level of Staff Share is similar to this, just adults and not small children that are the problem!)
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 14th November 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Sadly it does have to be done for each folder (our top level of Staff Share is similoar to this, just adults and not small children that are the problem!)
    That will take me forever!
    If they would just save stuff in "My Docs" when logged on as their own class, instead of dumping everything in shared resources, it would help! I have asked them to identify which folders they would like this to apply to as each class has lots of folders on shared resources

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That will take me forever!
    If they would just save stuff in "My Docs" when logged on as their own class, instead of dumping everything in shared resources, it would help! I have asked them to identify which folders they would like this to apply to as each class has lots of folders on shared resources
    but they wont I once had a teacher if I could set their default save location (my docs) to the shared drive

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you not just have a single folder for each class?

When I did it to the Staff Share, it also prompted a cleanup of the share, and discussion as the what folders we really needed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Can you not just have a single folder for each class?

When I did it to the Staff Share, it also prompted a cleanup of the share, and discussion as the what folders we really needed!
    I have got a single folder for each class - and it is that one that needs not to move - but inside it is a folder for each child in the class that they need to be able to have full control over

Thank Post
    might it be quicker to deny modify access to this folder only for pupils on the ones that keep getting moved (possibly quicker than redoing shed loads of permissions)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,770 Posts
    Another option would be to create a file starting with a dot, underscore or hyphen in the root of each folder you do not want to be moved. Change the permissions on that file so that students and/or staff do not have access to it. When someone accidentally drags that folder into another, Windows should either display an error message or abort the operation because it will start copying the file and then find it isn't able to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    might it be quicker to deny modify access to this folder only for pupils on the ones that keep getting moved (possibly quicker than redoing shed loads of permissions)
    That seems disturbingly easy but I cant do it as the ticks are greyed out unless I remove inheritable permissions and then I have to set them all up again anyway
    Ive just created a folder called Test on shared res and inside are two folders called one and two. The permissions on Test are that I own it and have full control but students cant modify etc. I set up one and two so that they didnt inherit permissions, students have full control and so do I. I am network manager. I cant delete one and two and if I try and look at them the security data wont show!! I cant delete Test either but I wonder if that is set from further up
    What have I done?
    Last edited by witch; 14th November 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That seems disturbingly easy but I cant do it as the ticks are greyed out unless I remove inheritable permissions and then I have to set them all up again anyway
    Ive just created a folder called Test on shared res and inside are two folders called one and two. The permissions on Test are that I own it and have full control but students cant modify etc. I set up one and two so that they didnt inherit permissions, students have full control and so do I. I am network manager. I cant delete one and two and if I try and look at them the security data wont show!! I cant delete Test either but I wonder if that is set from further up
    What have I done?
    your right just tried it and denying modify denies read etc sorry

Thank Post
    So what do I do now? I cant get rid of them!!!
    Last edited by witch; 14th November 2013 at 09:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast