+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, KMS Setup in Technical; Originally Posted by Firefox You're using KMS but not using VAMT? how are you managing your KMS setup? We're running ...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    You're using KMS but not using VAMT? how are you managing your KMS setup?

    We're running VAMT 3.1 to run our KMS setup. a nice update as it is now a SQL backend which makes the tool a lot more useful.
    up to a point whats to manage once youve hit 25 activations it just keeps working never needed to use vamt for anythink but mak keys and when its been quicker to force kms activation to get to 25

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    265
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    up to a point whats to manage once youve hit 25 activations it just keeps working never needed to use vamt for anythink but mak keys and when its been quicker to force kms activation to get to 25
    Well we had a little headache getting our 2012 and Windows 8 devices to license from a 2008 R2 KMS server, thankfully that's now resolved with VAMT 3.1, no idea if this works or not from slmgr.vbs

    Plus the tool gives a nice quick view of devices that were mistakenly licensed with MAK keys, and provides a nice easy way to convert them to KMS keys. The biggest bug bear of the older version was that once you'd done a discovery, if you forgot to save the info and closed the tool, you'd have to go through the same process next time. This is now automatically saved with SQL. Plus the tool is not proactive enough to remove devices that have been deleted from the domain, so we use the gui for cleanup, not much fun looking at a list of 25,000 devices when a large number have been removed

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    78
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Where would we stand with Windows 8(.1) and server 2012?
    this article might be useful

  4. #19
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,188
    Thank Post
    273
    Thanked 110 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    You're using KMS but not using VAMT? how are you managing your KMS setup?

    We're running VAMT 3.1 to run our KMS setup. a nice update as it is now a SQL backend which makes the tool a lot more useful.

    To answer the OP....

    You activate your KMS server, and you install the KMS license keys for Office\Windows etc. At no point are the actual OS keys exposed to you. You will require a DNS service record entry so that devices know where to locate the KMS server. After which the licensing should be an automatic process.

    In saying that, you can do this process manually from the KMS server.

    1) Discover the device
    2) Right click a device and click "Install product key"
    3) Select "Automatically select a KMS client key(GVLK)
    4) Once complete right click the device again and Activate and choose volume activate
    5) Right click once more and update device status which should now show as licensed
    Ok. We got VAMT 2 on the said server will look at getting that updated now..

    May also move it to our 2012 server as that's just sat there doing nothing.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    265
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Ok. We got VAMT 2 on the said server will look at getting that updated now..

    May also move it to our 2012 server as that's just sat there doing nothing.
    If you plan on leaving the updated version ov VAMT running on your current server you will need this patch

    An update is available for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts to support Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

    Once the patch has been installed, install the new 2012 KMS host key from the command line on the KMS server:
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KMS host key>

    The KMS server will then report that it’s no longer activated and Windows is not ‘Genuine’. Run the following from the command line to reactivate itself with the new key.
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

    The install the latest version of VAMT - if you have a test environment I would try this there first

  6. #21
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,188
    Thank Post
    273
    Thanked 110 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    If you plan on leaving the updated version ov VAMT running on your current server you will need this patch

    An update is available for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts to support Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

    Once the patch has been installed, install the new 2012 KMS host key from the command line on the KMS server:
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KMS host key>

    The KMS server will then report that it’s no longer activated and Windows is not ‘Genuine’. Run the following from the command line to reactivate itself with the new key.
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

    The install the latest version of VAMT - if you have a test environment I would try this there first
    We already done the key change....

    Ive installed that patch already.

  7. #22

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,489
    Thank Post
    1,575
    Thanked 479 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    215
    I have never been able to get VAMT 3 to dish out GVLK keys to Win 7 clients.
    I ended up just pushing MAK keys out.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    265
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I have never been able to get VAMT 3 to dish out GVLK keys to Win 7 clients.
    I ended up just pushing MAK keys out.
    Do you have more then 1 domain?

    VAMT 3 seemed to have great difficulty dealing with multi domain environments, we never truely got this working, however 3.1 seems a lot better (and 2.0 worked fine)

  9. Thanks to Firefox from:

    CHR1S (6th November 2013)

  10. #24

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,489
    Thank Post
    1,575
    Thanked 479 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Do you have more then 1 domain?

    VAMT 3 seemed to have great difficulty dealing with multi domain environments, we never truely got this working, however 3.1 seems a lot better (and 2.0 worked fine)
    Yes, exactly same as you, 2 worked fine, not tried 3.1

  11. #25
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,188
    Thank Post
    273
    Thanked 110 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Yes, exactly same as you, 2 worked fine, not tried 3.1
    Where can I get the 3.1 download? I got 3.0 installed...

  12. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    265
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Where can I get the 3.1 download? I got 3.0 installed...
    Should be on the 8.1 ADK

    Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 from Official Microsoft Download Centre

  13. 2 Thanks to Firefox:

    CHR1S (6th November 2013), newpersn (6th November 2013)

  14. #27
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,188
    Thank Post
    273
    Thanked 110 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Now im getting this...

    Unable to connect to the WMI service on the remote machine

  15. #28


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    firewall at a guess try poking holes for wmi or just turn it off

  16. #29
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,188
    Thank Post
    273
    Thanked 110 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    firewall at a guess try poking holes for wmi or just turn it off
    My computer dosnt like its name... Entered my ip address and it worked fine. Windows has activated, Just gotta get the office count up.

  17. #30

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,017
    Thank Post
    105
    Thanked 76 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    I'm having issues with VAMT as well, just set it all up and I'm getting :-

    Code:
    0xC004F074  The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.
    DNS records are fine, even with nslookup.

    any ideas ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KMS Client Setup Keys
    By ZeroHour in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th September 2013, 09:30 PM
  2. [MS Office - 2010] KMS Setup
    By Stuart_C in forum Office Software
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th February 2012, 10:14 AM
  3. KMS Setup help needed
    By timbo343 in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th August 2011, 05:11 PM
  4. KMS Client Setup Keys
    By ZeroHour in forum Windows Server 2008
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th February 2010, 11:30 AM
  5. KMS Client Setup Keys
    By ZeroHour in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th February 2010, 11:30 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •