+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Connecting to Server on other domain gives me "No logon services available" error. in Technical; Morning guys, Quick one here and hoping it's a nice easy one for you Moving from CC3 to CC4 over ...
    Thank Post

Connecting to Server on other domain gives me "No logon services available" error.

Morning guys,

Quick one here and hoping it's a nice easy one for you

Moving from CC3 to CC4 over at one of our primary schools. Both have a separate domain as apparently this is the "RM way". This was all put in place before I started. The current SIMS Server is on the old CC3 server although we're getting a new one in December that's going to be going on the new CC4 Domain.

Trying to get the new CC4 built machines (CC4 Domain) to talk to the old SIMS server (CC3 Domain) and having a few issues. I can RDP to the SIMS server with no issues however if I try and map the S: drive to it or brose to it at all using windows explorer I get an error messages stating "****** is not accessible... There are currently no logon services available to service the logon request."

Now I can brose the old CC3 DC and it's shares with no issues just not the old SIMS Server. Are there some security settings I need to change somewhere to be able to browse to it at all?

Any advice here would be really appreciated as this is something I've not had to deal with before,

Thanks in advance,

Thank Post
    Are the domains part of the same forest? It sounds like you could have some sort of DNS issue
    Last edited by Firefox; 4th November 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What if you try to map with the IP instead of the DNS name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    Trying to get the new CC4 built machines (CC4 Domain) to talk to the old SIMS server (CC3 Domain) and having a few issues.
    I presume there's a trust between the two domains? You can then add Security Groups to the relevant shares from Domain A onto Domain B for example.

Thank Post
    Not part of the same forest. Completely separate domains. I hadn't ruled out a DNS issue but I don't really know too much about that side of things to trouble shot unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Another thought - when you RDP to your SIMS server, are you using the servername or its IP address?

By the sounds of things, I think you may need to setup a DNS Stub Zone. This'll communicate DNS data between your domains, so long as there's a trust already in place (as I wrote above).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What if you try to map with the IP instead of the DNS name.
    Interesting... I can ping the IP of the SIMS Server AND the actual name of the server however I can't do an NSLOOKUP on it unless I use the FQDN.

I can RDP to the SIMS Server as well using both IP and host name as well.

Thank Post
    The nslookup will likely fail as I assume you don't have the other domain in your dns suffix search list?

You could create a conditional forwarder in DNS, from your DC in domain B, create a forward to the other domain, listing DC in domain A as the DNS server

Thank Post
    Ok on the old DC under Domains and Trusts I can see the domain name in the tree on the left...

Nothing on the right hand window but I can go into properties and under trusts I see the new domain under Outgoing and Incoming trusts. Trust type = external. Transitive = No for both.

When I click the button to validate the trust I get the same error about no logon servers being able to service the logon request.

Thank Post
    Ok on the old DC under Domains and Trusts I can see the domain name in the tree on the left...

Nothing on the right hand window but I can go into properties and under trusts I see the new domain under Outgoing and Incoming trusts. Trust type = external. Transitive = No for both.

When I click the button to validate the trust I get the same error about no logon servers being able to service the logon request.
    Hopefully the DNS forwarder will resolve that issue, Domain A doesn't know the server in domain B that can service it's login requests

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I presume there's a trust between the two domains? You can then add Security Groups to the relevant shares from Domain A onto Domain B for example.
    YEs I can do this on the old DC and the old SIMS Server. I can add users from the new domain to items on the old. However I can't add users from the old domain to security properties on the new domain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Hopefully the DNS forwarder will resolve that issue, Domain A doesn't know the server in domain B that can service it's login requests
    Ok... so how do I do this? And am I setting this on the new domain I assume?

Thank Post
    Ok... so how do I do this? And am I setting this on the new domain I assume?
    You could set it on both.

Open up DNS, on the left hand side under reverse lookup you should have an option for a conditional forwarder?

Right click on here, and new. Type the name of the domain in to the top box, then the name of an authorative DNS server for that domain.

This ensures, any time you look something up from Domain A thats in Domain B, it will know what dns server to contact for the info.

Thank Post
    Adding the old domain on the new DNS server gives me the following error: The Server with this IP is not the authoritative for the required zone. On the new domain DNS I can see that under forward lookup zones I have both the new and old domain.

Adding new domain on the old DNS server... well I don't seem to have the option of creating a conditional forwarded... it's Svr2003 for what it's worth. Also on the old DNS I can only see the old domain name under forward lookup zones however it doesn't seem to have anything under it apart from a record for the domain controller.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread